Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

Dependent visa entry timing and stay restriction

Closed Thread

Dependent visa entry timing and stay restriction

Hello,

My wife just got a job in HK and her new firm is applying her employment visa while me (the husband) and our two children's dependent visas will be applied at the same time.

While my wife's HK job will start early January, my employer prefers me to work here in U.S. till 6/30/15. So we are thinking to have my wife move to HK first and the rest of the family will join her six months later. So my questions are:

1. What is the deadline for me and my children to arrive HK? if we don't get there by the deadline, will our dependent visas be revoked or turned invalid?

2. If I have to get there initially, can I come back to U.S. immediately and return to HK 6 months later? In another word, iDo we need actually live in HK for the dependent visas to be valid?

3. If our dependent visas turn invalid, in the future can my wife apply new dependent visas for us?

Many thanks for the responses.

Mike

When your dependent visa is approved it will have a date on it and the words "good for entry to Hong Kong before... "I think they give you a few months to get here . In any case just make your trip before that date . You could turn around at the airport and go back after it's activated if you want . No need to live here . If you let the visa lapse shouldn't be an issue just apply all over again with an explain why you didn't make it last time .

When the visas are issued you will have 3 months for them to be activated. This means an entry into HK with the visa in the passport, it will be stamped and the visa starts. You will then need to apply for a HKID card which takes a couple of weeks to process. You can then leave and come back a few months later. You will need to briefly explain the absence when you apply to renew your dependant visa in 12 months.

Thanks for your responses!

Thanks!

If I dont stay in HK for the HKID card, will that affect my status? I am thinking to stay there only a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ycsun2007:
    Thanks!

If I dont stay in HK for the HKID card, will that affect my status? I am thinking to stay there only a few days.
    Won't affect your status at all . There is a rule about when to get id cards but the penalty for not doing that is not revocation of your status . You just enter and exit with your passport which has the dependent visa in it .

Great. Thanks again,really appreciate it!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You are required by law to get the ID card within 30 days of entering Hong Kong on your dependent visa, i.e. activation. Appointments for the card can be made online, so you can arrange that for when you are here. Your spouse can be authorised to collect the cards - just fill out the form.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 13-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    shri likes this.

That's very helpful information. Many thanks for sharing!!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Forgot to mention, you will get a temporary paper ID card at the appointment, which will have your ID card number but, I believe, it will not work in the e-channels machines.