Question regarding applying rtl/rao

Closed Thread

Question regarding applying rtl/rao

I’m born in HK, in possession of hkid roa, hksar and uk passport,
    My husband is (still) a Chinese national, holding a prc passport.
    My daughter was born in the uk in 1998 and aquired the uk nationality at birth.
    At the time of my daughter’s birth, I was already a British citizen, my husband was not a permanent resident in the uk, cos at that moment he lived in the uk for about a year.

Question: Is my daughter qualified for roa or rtl application later?

I'm afraid your daughter is not eligible for ROA or RTL under the pre-1997 arrangements since she was born after June 30 1997. She will not be able to claim ROA as a Chinese citizen either because you had British citizenship at the time she was born. If a child is born abroad an one or both parents has permanent resident status or a foreign citizenship, the child will not have Chinese nationality.

The only way for her to obtain ROA is through seven years of residence in HK with your sponsorship for a dependant's visa. She will be given initially one year then two years every renewal until has has met the seven years requirement. Once she has lived in Hong Kong for seven years, she can apply for ROA.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 11-09-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Hi Auritaurus,

Will the case be different if she was born in 1996?

Quote Originally Posted by hkbrand:
    Hi Auritaurus,

Will the case be different if she was born in 1996?
    Hi hkbrand,

Yes, if she was born in 1996, she would have British dependent territory citizenship with Hong Kong belonger status. This would give her an automatic entitlement to ROA.