Like Tree6Likes

Appeal for employment visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Appeal for employment visa

Hello everybody,

Has anyone had any success with an appeal to a employment visa in Hong Kong, or for that matter known of anyone who has had success. How long does the appeal process take?

My girlfriend recently had her employment visa rejected. She is in Hong Kong, and has a job as an English teacher, she just needs the visa to start work. A professional English language education centre in Hong Kong, possibly Eureka I think have sponsored her visa. They told her last week they have appealed the decision, with the director of the company personally responding, saying how much they want her to work.

Has anyone else had appeals approved with regard to working as a english teacher?

Thanks

I've never heard of a teaching visa being refused. On what grounds was it rejected?

Usual reasons for rejections are a low salary, or the applicant's (lack of) qualifications, or the employer has not demonstrated that a Hong Kong permanent resident cannot do the job - i.e. they need to show that the position has been advertised and that applicants were not suitable.

Yeah but it's rare that applies to teaching positions. Especially to an established company.

Thanks for the replies. I am not 100% sure of the grounds on which the visa was rejected. She is a Swedish citizen, with a Swedish passport, her English is of a very high level on par with a native speaker. The company really liked her, thus wanting to sponsor her visa, she has been on many training days over the past 2 weeks, with various schools liking her, leading to one offering her the job, with the contract and everything. I've read an employment visa is predominately for native speakers, but I hope the personal response from the director of the established company will help in over turning her visa rejection.

There surely must be other non-native english speakers teaching English in HK? I've browsed on the internet and found various examples. I just wonder how long the appeal can take. I think the company told her, they hope to hear back from the immigration within a week or so, hopefully this is true

Does she have an ielts exam or similar to prove her level? Where I teach we have a few non-native teachers so it is possible

An official appeal would take ages but if they have just asked for a reconsideration that shouldn't take long.

She has TEFL certificates, obtained from a 1 month's course. She holds a bachelors degree which was taken entirely in English.

usehername - just out of interest which countries do the non-native teachers come from? I am just curious if you know of their previous backgrounds with teaching or if you are aware if any had struggles obtaining the visa? Thanks

To be fair there are plenty of people with an 'english' degree who couldn't speak English accurately enough to teach it. So she may need to do an exam as proof.

We have quite a few eastern Europeans, and I know they used to teach English in other places but that's all I know I'm afraid.

usehername - sorry for bombarding you with questions but do you know what they main difference between an official appeal and a reconsideration are? Do you know if reconsiderations can be fruitful?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast