Working Visa

Closed Thread

Working Visa

Hi all, I just so glad that i found this forum before i make any moving adjustments.

Here is my story, a bit long and boring but just bear with me.

I am Chinese national with US greed card/permanent resident card and in the process of naturalization for US citizenship. I just got hired by a hong Kong company as Assistant operation manager. I have a AA degree and while my BS degree is pending. I have almost 5 years professional experiences working with project around the globe as my previous job.

Here are my questions.
    1. How would the BS degree pending affect my working visa with immigration?

2. Is it easier to apply for the visa at Hong Kong immigration office or oversea Chinese consulate? (like Chinese consulate of SFO)

3. Do i need to make adjustments to the visa once my US citizenship approve, i would assume i do, just want to know how complicated if anyone knew.

4. Salary is above $20k i saw in the forum but is it too low for the immigration to consider??

Thank you all

You say you are Chinese national. Does that mean you hold the PRC passport? Just checking as people from Taiwan,Macau, Hong Kong etc tend to call themselves the same.

If you do hold the PRC passport I believe there is some special procedures for you. You may want to email [email protected] just to clarify things as well. Once you have a US passport things will be much easier.

But note that Chinese citizens who also hold permanent residency elsewhere are treated differently from those wishing to move directly from the Mainland, so you need to make your situation very clear.

I would have thought that your future HR department making the application on your behalf here in Hong Kong would be the easiest way. Assuming you are not the first expat they have employed then they should know their way through the process.

Thank you for your prompt replies. Yes i hold a PRC passport. I have been US for over 10 years.
    However, the future company seems to be have not hired foreign employee in the past and they just seems unable to find the right person for the job.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Mxg; 16-09-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxg:
    US greed card
    How can one apply for a GREED CARD, how greedy does one have to be. LOL.

Sorry bored out of my mind and looking forward to the weekend already. Wooohooo

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Sorry bored out of my mind and looking forward to the weekend already. Wooohooo
    It's only Tuesday dude (or dudette). LOL.

green card, my mistake. Thank you for your reminder.

although a GREED card sounds more cool ....more American, you know....like the IBs there that keep getting GREEDY from time to time

@Mxg, note, the salary over 20K is not a major issue...I have guys in my company who have a salary just below 20K, but they have been granted work visa by HK

But note what PDLM says - your company is supposed to do it. You will need to fill in the form, but being your sponsor, they will need to prove why they cannot fill the position with any local staff. BTW, being a PRC national means different rules may apply to you. Please check directly with HK Immigration for the best results. IMHO, they are a pretty helpful bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by The BeeDees:
    It's only Tuesday dude (or dudette). LOL.
    Yeh, its a slow week, not much going on. Long week end makes it much harder to go back work espcially if not much is going on. Thank god only 3 more days to go.