HK CIES Visa Holders / Unconditional Stay Condition enquiry

Closed Thread

HK CIES Visa Holders / Unconditional Stay Condition enquiry

Hello,

Appreciate if anyone knowledgeable about this can help me.

I am currently holding Unconditional Stay visa after 7 years via CIES VISA scheme. My assets are still in HK but I am not living there.

Can I enquire if I need to visit Hong Kong once every year else they will cancel my unconditional stay status?

What happens if I missed? I am trying to be in HK at least once every year but for this year, I might miss the 1 year window since I last visited.

Is it mandatory to visit once every year? I hate losing my status because of the amount I invested in HK previously and I would like the option in the future to migrate to HK permanently.

Thanks!

once you did the 7 years did you apply for Right of Abode (HK Permanent Resident) ID CARD. If you did then you only need to enter HK once every 3 years (36 months) to continue having permanent status.

When approval in principle is given to an entrant, he will be initially allowed to enter Hong Kong on visitor status for three months. If evidence of active progress in investment can be shown, his visitor status can be extended for another three months. When the entrant has furnished proof that the requisite level of investment has been made, permission to stay for two years (formal approval) will be granted. Further extensions for two years will be granted if the entrant can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Immigration Department that he continues to meet the eligibility criteria and portfolio maintenance requirements as mentioned in the corresponding web pages. Further extensions for 2 years will be granted on the same basis. Upon completion of not less than seven years of continuous ordinary residence in Hong Kong, the entrant and his dependants may apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong in accordance with the law.

Thanks wtbhotia,

I did not apply for right of abode as i did not stay in HK for the past 7 years. Rather I am just visiting a few days yearly without any permanent residence.

Currently I am still using Unconditional Stay.

For Unconditional stay, is it now the same as Right of Abode? (e.g. visit once every 36 months)

Unconditional stay is, is far more risky as far as I know. If you leave for more than 12 months then you lose it and end up with absolutely nothing.. where as ROA you can leave for 36 months and you will still retain RTL for life.. which is pretty similar for 90% of situations.

merv2k4, the unconditional stay under the CIES does not have the 12 months returning requirement. If you have any doubt, you should contact the officer who initially approved your Unconditional Stay.

Quote Originally Posted by iphotos:
    merv2k4, the unconditional stay under the CIES does not have the 12 months returning requirement. If you have any doubt, you should contact the officer who initially approved your Unconditional Stay.
    Are you sure, I believe unconditional stay will be lost after 12 months or more absence, left with nothing.

But if you still meet the CIES requirements, you could reapply.
    You should email them.