Like Tree12Likes

British citizenship by descent question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

British citizenship by descent question

I was born in HK but become British citizen by naturalisation in the 90s. Can my baby apply for British citizenship by descent?
    (My son is 3 and born in HK also, I have been working in HK for 10 years)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

When you say "naturalised" was that in the UK or did you get one of those 50,000 'free' passports that the UK government gave out?

I would reckon YES

You are a British Citizen "otherwise than by descent". Your child can become a British Citizen 'by descent'. If your child has children that are born outside the UK, they are not eligible for British Nationality.

Workpermit.com - Immigration - UK - Naturalisation (Citizenship) - Children Born Outside The UK - British Citizenship By Descent Or Otherwise

Depends on the nationality status of your spouse. Unless your spouse was born in UK, I doubt your offspring can get UK nationality unless they were born in the UK according to the test here : https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

Kingddd became a BRITISH CITIZEN not by descent, therefore his/her child will automatically get British Citizenship through descent as they were born outside of the UK.

I am going through this right now

I did my time in UK, secondary school, college, University and work a few years before moving to Hong kong to work. My wife is Hong konger, She have the HK passport. Used to have a BNO but not sure if that's help.

Last edited by kingddd; 07-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.

: You're right, I clicked the wrong point on the 3rd question.

Hi Wtbhotia

Did you apply for the Child UK passport first or uk birth certificate abroad? I hope your application go through OK.

You can apply for child UK passport with HK birth certificate.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast