Visa for Startup Help Needed

Closed Thread

Visa for Startup Help Needed

Hi guys,

I have a startup that went through CCMF and is now part of Incubation Programme @ Cyberport. For the past 2 years, I've been on a tourist visa, coming-going, working on my startup, which is now registered company, July 2014.

Current situation:

1. Startup has little money (Leftovers from CCMF grant)
    2. We're working on a contract to do work for major financial institution.
    3. I can't work on that contract unless I get a visa for my company, correct?

So with little money, I don't really know what my visa options are. My understanding is most visa options require a large capital injection (investment visa) or the ability to pay an employee (employement visa). I can't do either until I've gotten money from that contract, my catch 22.

The company was registered in July 2014, along with its bank account which has a small amount of money in it.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or advice who I could talk to for help with this?

Thanks,
    Justin

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Maybe contact InvestHK as they help businesses setting up in Hong Kong and can give free advice on the matter. But tread carefully with ImmD as you've been working here illegally.

(An employment visa is for a non-HK PR employee, not for the sponsoring employer.)

Thanks Claire, I'm setup to visit InvestHK and talk about my current visa.

This will be an interesting ride.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsujri:
    This will be an interesting ride.
    It maybe a one way ride to the airport. Be prepared for the worst.

nitsujri, if it seems that you are not being able to qualify for the investment visa for the time being, you might wish to wait for a little while until the second quarter of the year. It was announced last week that the investment visa applications will be more clearly defined, and applications will be favourably considered if they are backed up by another government programme, e.g. the Cyberport Incubation Programme. However, I agree with Claire that you do need to be a bit careful if you have been spending majority of your time in Hong Kong for the last 2 years (Immigration might suspect you have started employment prior having their approval).