Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emx

Issue about e-channels in mainland

Issue about e-channels in mainland

A bit about myself: I am a UK passport holder and I will be working in Hong Kong early March. I was born in Guangdong, China. My girlfriend is a Chinese national. I have already got a 2 year multi-entry China visa.

What I know: I must apply for an HK ID once my work visa is granted and activated within a month (28 days?). Using the HK ID (non-permanent) card I can register e-channels.

What I want to know: My original thought was that this means frequent travel from HK to GuangZhou will be possible using the e-channels. But after some confusing discussions on Baidu I read, I think using e-channels with HKID in HK (exit and entry) is ok but not in mainland. That means every time I travel I will get minimum two stamps on my UK passport. As you know getting a renewal from HK is a nightmare. So I want to know am I right about the e-channels? Are there any ways to get into Guangzhou without a stamp on UK passport based on my situation?

Thanks for helping in advance!

Apply for a home return permit?

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maple1736:
    A bit about myself: I am a UK passport holder and I will be working in Hong Kong early March. I was born in Guangdong, China. My girlfriend is a Chinese national. I have already got a 2 year multi-entry China visa.

What I know: I must apply for an HK ID once my work visa is granted and activated within a month (28 days?). Using the HK ID (non-permanent) card I can register e-channels.

What I want to know: My original thought was that this means frequent travel from HK to GuangZhou will be possible using the e-channels. But after some confusing discussions on Baidu I read, I think using e-channels with HKID in HK (exit and entry) is ok but not in mainland. That means every time I travel I will get minimum two stamps on my UK passport. As you know getting a renewal from HK is a nightmare. So I want to know am I right about the e-channels? Are there any ways to get into Guangzhou without a stamp on UK passport based on my situation?

Thanks for helping in advance!
    You will need to enter China in the foreigners lane with your UK passport . they will stamp you every entry and exit . You get 5entries and exits each passport page ie 10stamps fit on a page.so you can calculates exactly how many trips your passport will last before it's full . Aussie have a thicker frequent traveller passport option :don't know about UK

You can apply for a second UK passport. I've had one in the past. That way you are not without one when sending off for renewals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Apply for a home return permit?
    I thought that's for HK permanent ID holders? Can I apply?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You can apply for a second UK passport. I've had one in the past. That way you are not without one when sending off for renewals etc.
    Applying a second UK passport requires that letter from a senior ranked staff in my company which is a bit complex. Also, the reason for frequent travel is personal so I double that I can get a letter like this... Bud anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Did you formally renounced your Chinese citizenship?

Officially, no. But my original Chineses Passport (before becoming UK citizen) is already expired. It won't be possible to renewal it.

Quote Originally Posted by maple1736:
    Applying a second UK passport requires that letter from a senior ranked staff in my company which is a bit complex. Also, the reason for frequent travel is personal so I double that I can get a letter like this... Bud anyway thanks for the suggestion.
    My understanding is that you can get it if you can "show a need". Once you have been travelling for a few weeks, you will have pages of stamps. A copy of these should be a perfectly acceptable "need".