Like Tree8Likes

Can my PR infant son sponsor me and my wife for a visa?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think pre-1997 the HK government kept records of the residents' race, at least who is Chinese and who is not. If I remember correctly in my school days there was a local born Pakistani classmate, whose ID card number starts with "X" instead of the normal alphabets then.

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    I think pre-1997 the HK government kept records of the residents' race, at least who is Chinese and who is not. If I remember correctly in my school days there was a local born Pakistani classmate, whose ID card number starts with "X" instead of the normal alphabets then.
    X: means do not have Chinese Name

I don't really have a clear view of this, it's just my opinion was before the PRC took over HK in 1997, there is no real way to determine whether one is a PRC citizen or not. The language in one of the interpretations is that those that have 中國血統 (i.e. Chinese race/blood) will be taken as Chinese citizens, at least at the change of sovereignty. As for how 中國血統 can be interpreted, that beats me.

I do not know how they treat this in practice for any newborns in Hong Kong now. Perhaps if they look Chinese and you claim them as Chinese under the nationality field they'll just take it as that. I have no idea.

The concept of "nationality" in the Hong Kong perspective is very clouded historically, I don't think people there have a grasp of that. They used to be administered by the British, were not part of UK, not full British citizens, most residents are Han Chinese, returned to China in 1997, etc. What also complicates is that under PRC and HKSAR policy, the Hong Kong territory always has been part of China, so they interpret things in that it was always part of China, just under British administration for 150 years. In a legal perspective, it's like China considers that its law ruled over Hong Kong even when they weren't in control of it.

Last edited by Hairball; 13-03-2015 at 11:51 PM.
    imparanoic, drumbrake and TheBrit like this.