changing of visa status will effect PR?????

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If ImmD buys that argument (as they seem to have done so far) then you're fine. It's very much down to the individual case officer I believe.

>> It's very much down to the individual case officer I believe.

Not just that, it is down to tax contribution of the company and the individuals. Lots of pragmatism in place within the system. Many consultancies (atleast the IT / biz ones I know of) bring in staff on short notice (1 week) and get their visas approved quickly because there is an inbuilt trust with the company or their visa processing agent.

Interesting. Our agent is shockingly useless (which must reflect on us, since we hired them and have not fired them yet!).

I'll see how my extension goes... I did this myself without the useless agent - hope it does not backfire!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    When you say "independent visa" do you mean an Employment Visa?

If so thenjdjdjdjdj changing from Employment to Dependant doesn't affect your later application for PR. All that is required is that you reside legally in HK for a continuous period of 7 years prior to your application for PR. If you apply to change your status from Employment to Dependant than you will continue to be legally resident throughout the process so no problem. (You should however apply for the Dependant Visa at least 6-8 weeks before your Employment Visa expires to ensure that you do have continuity.)
    hi is this also true for a dependent visa holder whi changed status to working visa? will that affect the continuity of 7yt stay in hong kong? thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

If there is no gap between the Dependant Visa and the Employment Visa then it doesn't affect the 7 years. I know a couple who have PR and who swapped who was on the Employment Visa and who on the Dependant about half way through the 7 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I think (from memory) that the form you have to send to Immigration simply has two categories: Permanent Residents and Non-permanent Residents, so nothing would change.
    What if the dependant opened his own business and worked as a contractor or consultant instead of employee?

Then they wouldn't be an employee of the company so they wouldn't be reported on the company's returns to ImmD. But obviously the effect one the ratio of non-PR/PR is smaller because you reduce the number of employees by one: 7/10 -> 6/9 whereas replacing a non-PR with a PR (or having one of your non-PRs get PR status) moves you 7/10 -> 6/10.