Like Tree6Likes

Applying for Dependent Visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Applying for Dependent Visa

Hi maybe u cud give us some guide,

We arrived last may 2, we (me n my wife) are applying dependent visa for me, my wife is a permanent resident here in hk and does not have a job yet here.. we passed the application and the requirements yesterday, and we are scheduled to go back to d immigration and bring the other documents on may 14 to have our case officer. My wifes dad supported us in our application, he also give his documents to the immigration, he's been here a long time already. We already rented a flat beside my wifes dad... we are both filipino. what can we do to make our application run smoothly?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Your father-in-law is not sponsoring the visa, your wife is. Your father-in-law cannot sponsor the visa, your wife must. He might provide accommodation, which ImmD will consider favourably, but his money doesn't count. Your wife is the one who has to show she can support you.

pet69 likes this.

Agree with Claire, it is your wife who needs to satisfy the HK immigration not your Father in law. Might cause a problem if she doesn't have a job here.

I know someone who went through the same thing (Filipino). As far as I remember, they got married in HK then her husband went back to the Philippines during the application process (Don't think you can stay here in HK while this is going on). Immigration is pretty tough on individuals trying to extend Tourist visa with no valid reason. All in all, it took around 6-9 months for the processing to finish and a visa was issued.

Bottom line: She had to prove to the HK Immigration that she has a steady job, steady income, a place to stay and such.

Are you currently in HK on a tourist visa if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by avengedsevenfold; 05-05-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    pet69 likes this.

Yes your wife must show she has adequate income or savings to support you both. If your wife has no job / income, I think she must have at least approx 240K in savings. I'll refer you to this older thread here for more details:

https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...ead290482.html

pet69 likes this.

Tnx for the input guyz wel tke note of it.. yes we are here in hk (me) as visitor... my wife has saving i hope it can help our application. Wat else do we nid to do for our application be approved by immd?

In our case, we just made sure there was plenty of money in my wife's bank account, and that I had accommodation. She didn't have a job at the time either.

Saying that, I formerly had an employment visa and was changing status, so I guess that counted in my favour.

pet69 likes this.

So how lng does it take ur dv to be approved? Congratz!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For applicants with certain passports, we are hearing cases that mention over six months for approval. So be prepared.

To improve the likelihood of a positive outcome, have plenty of savings, have your wife get a decently paid job, have plenty of proof of a long-time relationship. Even with all of these there is no guarantee, plus you'll still have to wait and wait. It is very unlikely it will be processed in a couple of weeks.

Fiona in HKG and HK_Katherine like this.

Assuming you're holding a Philippine Passport, it can take anywhere from 6-12 months or even longer. As I have mentioned previously, it took my friend around 9 months (give or take) to finalize the process and receive her husband's visa.

Aside from the standard requirements from your wife such as a Job or savings, she would need to provide proof of your relationship before marriage such as pictures, email/letters etc.

I do not think it's possible for you to remain in HK while the application is being processed.

Last edited by avengedsevenfold; 06-05-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Other than what is highlighted above there is nothing "more" you can do. Avoid contacting your officer too often. Patiently waiting, outside HK, is the best strategy.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast