HK ID card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK ID card

I'm sure this question must have been asked here before, but anyway, here goes.
    What is the requirement for a HKID card?
    I've been here for three weeks now, on a working visa. I'm from South Africa.

you MUST apply for a HKID card if you have a visa and will be resident in hk for more than 3 months.

it is an offense not to get one.

it's all here

I don't know about you, but when I got my Dependent Visa, I was given 30 days to apply for a HKID - they told me when I picked up my visa, didn't anyone mention anything to you? Not sure what the consequences (if there are any) of missing the deadline are.

Quote Originally Posted by ebow3d:
    I'm sure this question must have been asked here before, but anyway, here goes.
    What is the requirement for a HKID card?
    I've been here for three weeks now, on a working visa. I'm from South Africa.
    These guys are right.

You will find your information on two documents that Immigration would have sent you. I just went through this process recently myself.

The original letter telling saying your application was accepted (at the end) and the letter telling you where to pick it up.

It sounds like you are within the 30 days requirements if just 3 weeks, but I'd not be late or you might find out the consequences are serious!

Also, set up an appointment online or on phone as they only take so many walk-ins per day. It took me about 45 minutes with an appointment as I still waited until I got my TAG number called. In fact, I arrived right on time and could have got their earlier instead of waiting across the road having coffee.

Gees, thanks for the replies. Clearly I must make a plan and apply. Fortunately, my office is just accross the road from immigration in Gloucester Street.

Quote Originally Posted by ebow3d:
    Gees, thanks for the replies. Clearly I must make a plan and apply. Fortunately, my office is just accross the road from immigration in Gloucester Street.
    Just as a general FYI The Registration of Persons departments handle ID cards. So you may go to any of their offices. These include:

Immigration Tower (8/F)
    Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices
    Fo Tan
    Kwun Tong
    Yuen Long

What are the requirements to get a temporary HKID?

What is in the law and what's actually being enforced by the immigration department?

You have to apply for an ID card. You get a temporary card as part of this process and not otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by justarrivedhk:
    What are the requirements to get a temporary HKID?

What is in the law and what's actually being enforced by the immigration department?
    The immigration department follows the law. They don't have some sort of exception for illegal workers to pick up ID cards until they decide to move in and bust them.

As for temporary ID card, as mentioned when you get your work visa (or other valid resident visa) you may apply for a HKID card, when you apply as they need time to make the card they give you the temporary card (which is just paper). After two weeks you pick up the actual card.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast