Like Tree9Likes

Can my sister enter HK with s criminal record?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can my sister enter HK with s criminal record?

My sister has a criminal record (shoplifting) about one and a half years ago with the jail term of 1 day only...So, can she enter HK with me for a short vacation (2 weeks)? Any show up of her criminal record at the airport immigration upon arrival? Will she be rejected? Pls advise. Thanks!

Where is your sister from? If she is from a country that doesn't need a visa for Hong Kong it will be no problem , I don't think they even ask. Can't say for certain if she needs to apply for a visa in advance, I'd imagine the conditions will be more strict in that case.

wtbhotia likes this.

She is from Malaysia. Yea, I think she needs to apply a tourist visa in advance but I heard that her previous conviction is not a serious one so it should be ok? Pls advise.

Well if she needs to apply for a visa then go ahead and apply and see if they give her one. If her visa is issued, then I don't think there will be any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder18:
    She is from Malaysia. Yea, I think she needs to apply a tourist visa in advance but I heard that her previous conviction is not a serious one so it should be ok? Pls advise.
    Malaysians enjoy 90 days Tourist Visa on arrival, she DOESNT need to apply one before arriving and here shoplifting conviction will not stop her from entering. Just make sure she doesnt get itchy fingers in shops in HK

read part II
    Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region | Immigration Department
    Wonder18 likes this.

Thanks again for all your advices.

Anyone else with other opinions, kindly share it....thanks!

Last edited by Wonder18; 05-08-2015 at 05:10 PM.

However, I am glad if anyone else can share more advices besides the above ones. Thanks!

Call the authorities and ask. Why waste our time? Do you think we have nothing better to do?

I think technically, if you have any criminal record that you are supposed to disclose it before entering a country for consideration to enter. However, I don't think any country has access to these records except for some special watch-list that I'm sure is shared globally to track high-profile terrorists or something.

In this case, I think the best bet is to state no criminal record and keep quiet, and I highly doubt anything would come from it. The exception would be if you have a criminal record in the country you are entering excluding your home country.

I mean the word criminal needs further defining I think. Even if your receive a traffic violation, you get a letter stating it is from the criminal division, but I feel that word is just so confusing. When you apply to some licenses, are you a criminal, or does a criminal mean jail time, or where is the line?

Personally, I would think jail time is where the line is, but that is my opinion.

Wonder18 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast