Like Tree12Likes

Getting married in Hong Kong before heading to the UK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Yes but you specifically asked if there was a problem visiting after getting married. My other half never had a problem back when we were together or when married.
    Thanks. Have you tried taking a non-EEA spouse into the UK and have you had any issues with the requirements and 'hurdles' to jump over? Protest over £18,600 minimum income rule to bring foreign spouses to UK | UK news | The Guardian

Appeal court: if you earn £18,600 a year your foreign spouse can live in UK | Law | The Guardian

Expat families torn apart by UK visa requirements - Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That first case just sums up what total shits the UKBA are!
    I could go on - there seem to be plenty of examples kicking around:

March 2013: Australian girlfriend refused entry to the UK

My australian girlfriend refused entry to the uk

Sept 2013: Canadian boyfriend denied entry to UK (Gatwick) what now?

Canadian boyfriend denied entry to UK (Gatwick) what now? : General UK Immigration forum • Immigrationboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Depends on two things, what you mean by "taking them into the UK"? Do you mean for a visit or indefinitely? Also on where they come from I think, though your links above might show otherwise.

My summary: The UKBA are lying, obstructive, inhuman bastards. That is my polite version. Forgot totally incompetent.

What about where a British Citizen and an non-EEA Citizen (e.g. HKSAR Passport holder) marry in the HKSAR, and then visit the UK (for a few weeks or months). Does the non-EEA HKSAR passport holding spouse have any issues with the UK Immigration Officer upon arrival?
    I suppose the HRSAR passport holder would still be travelling under their pre-marriage name, so the UKBA official would not know that they are married to a British citizen (and given my experience of the HKBA, and would not make it known to them). This way the HKSAR passport holder gets the visa free entry as a normal tourist - note that return flight tickets, an itinerary, some hotel bookings and income might also be demanded. A holiday of a few weeks would be seen as possible; a few months might raise more questions.
    dossier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Depends on two things, what you mean by "taking them into the UK"? Do you mean for a visit or indefinitely? Also on where they come from I think, though your links above might show otherwise.

My summary: The UKBA are lying, obstructive, inhuman bastards. That is my polite version. Forgot totally incompetent.
    Thanks. Basically I am at the start of trying to understand all the variables here: planning ahead for a scenario with a non-EEA Citizen wife. It seems there is a hurdle concerning the requirements for applying for a family of a settled person visa in the UK and the fact that post 2012 there is a minimum income threshold and raised requirement of 5 years in the UK to get ILR.

Appeal court backs spouse visa change - BBC News

I think they basically make an instant decision. If that decision is against you then they will just make up arguments and evidence to justify it constantly shifting goalposts (imagine your UKBA contact is a certain recently banned poster). As in case 1 of your previous links. If it is entry refusal there is no appeal but if it is for settlement you can appeal through the courts which is what I did. At that point, I guess aware their case was total bollocks, they backed down. If their decision is favourable then you are fine.

Yes I have multiple times for visiting. The links are different and are for settlement so you are getting confused somewhere along the line. We are aware of the settlement issue, several friends have had to jump through those hoops.

For those other links I have no idea what's flagged them. We can only go with what has happened to us, including kids before we got their UK passports.
    dossier likes this.

This piece on Youtube from Newsnight provides a helpful summary of the requirements on non-EEA spouses into the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYyeDoa1Ah8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-arGCbhVmc

Last edited by dossier; 11-02-2016 at 09:24 PM.

This piece on Youtube from Newsnight provides a helpful summary of the requirements on non-EEA spouses into the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYyeDoa1Ah8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-arGCbhVmc
    Can you be clear on what your point is. Is it visiting or settlement?

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Can you be clear on what your point is. Is it visiting or settlement?
    Apologies: I am being a bit vague. I was thinking both:

(1) Non-EEA spouse (or girlfriend / boyfriend) etc. visiting the UK - say with the British Citizen, or to visit the British Citizen

(2) Later on - if married - and moving to the UK

Also I am just at the start of trying to understand things like:

a) Can a non-EEA person marry a British citizen in the UK? If so, on what immigration basis does the non-EEA person enter the UK in the first place, to the extent they are outside the UK/EEA? (Does the non-EEA person enter on a tourist visa into the UK to get married?)

b) With a non-EEA spouse who is married to a British Citizen: can the non-EEA spouse give birth when pregnant in the UK? On what basis does this pregnant non-EEA spouse enter the UK? (on a tourist visa when 8 months pregnant?)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4