Like Tree26Likes

Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

So ironically RTL is more permanent than the permanent resident ROA status as a non Chinese citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Just don't 'bugger the bishop' as you risk deportation.
    never, ever do that...

Turns you blind
    Last edited by MrRotavator; 06-10-2015 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    RTL is unusually permanent in that there is no way to have that status revoked or voluntarily removed.
    'buggering the bishop' might do it...

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Perhaps it's just PERMANENT until 2047.
    it will be interesting to see how the rules as we get closer to complete assimilation. Will permanent residents in Hong Kong be allowed complete access into China?

I suppose that will be the least of everyone's concerns.

I am personally of the view that the unofficial policy is "China (including Hong Kong) for Chinese people": so I personally expect to see a larger distinction drawn between Chinese Citizens and non-Chinese Citizens.

I see it the same, with big Xi imitating Mao foreigners might even get kicked out again

Hanyu and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    RTL is unusually permanent in that there is no way to have that status revoked or voluntarily removed.

IIUC what dossier posted correctly, if an RTL holder is ordered deported for a certain period of time, then when that time period has expired the RTL holder is allowed back in and the RTL status is retained. (I suppose though it's possible for someone to be ordered deported for life, in which case - despite holding RTL in theory - that person will never get back in. So, yeah, nothing is permanent. But RTL is still an unusual status.)
    I don't know if anything has changed, but it used to be that there were two different kinds of deportation/ "stop orders": those issued by the judiciary (normally after completion of a prison sentence) being lifetime orders unless you win an appeal to a higher court. "Stop orders" issued in lieu of incarceration are enforced, recorded by Imm. Dep't, and can be overturned by them on a successful appeal.

(if you're wondering how I know this stuff, no, I didn't marry him in the end ... )

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I see it the same, with big Xi imitating Mao foreigners might even get kicked out again
    Interestingly, there is an article from 2003 in the South China Morning Post:

Expats face new rules on residency
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 August, 2003, 12:00am
    UPDATED : Monday, 04 August, 2003, 12:00am
    Cliff Buddle
    Applicants are being asked to show that Hong Kong is their only home

Expatriates applying to become permanent residents are facing new, stricter procedures that require them to show they have taken 'concrete steps' to adopt Hong Kong, and nowhere else, as their home.

Applicants are now required to sign a declaration stating that the special administrative region is their only place of permanent residence.

More: http://www.scmp.com/article/423789/e...ules-residency
    Last edited by GeoTommy; 08-10-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Copy and paste; too long, just link to the article

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Interestingly, there is an article from 2003 in the South China Morning Post:

Expats face new rules on residency
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 August, 2003, 12:00am
    UPDATED : Monday, 04 August, 2003, 12:00am
    Cliff Buddle
    Applicants are being asked to show that Hong Kong is their only home

Expatriates applying to become permanent residents are facing new, stricter procedures that require them to show they have taken 'concrete steps' to adopt Hong Kong, and nowhere else, as their home.

Applicants are now required to sign a declaration stating that the special administrative region is their only place of permanent residence.

More: Expats face new rules on residency | South China Morning Post
    Perhaps the more important part of that article for some is this. I did not know the government was reverting dependent visas back to this.

On June 30, mainland professionals entering Hong Kong were allowed to bring their spouses and unmarried children with them for the first time. On the same day it was announced that all dependants, including non-Chinese nationals, would be required to seek permission from the director of immigration if they wanted to work or set up businesses.
    We've being giving people the wrong information.

It's almost as if...
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 08-10-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Re. my post above (bolded part), I can't find anything about this on the ImmD website.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast