Free rent for visa application.

Closed Thread

Free rent for visa application.

I do have a very close friend, Hongkonger. He owns two flats in Hung Hom. One of them is now residents-free. We discussed that it is possible if me and my wife could live there for free and he agreed even to sign a rent-free contract. It is the way we need since we have only 70 000 HKD per year, so free rent could be solution.

Therefore:

it is possible to sign a contract for rent with monthy payment of zero or something like that? OR as alternativem can the owner write a letter that he lets me to live there for free (like support letter from family)? but will immigration accept such a thing if owner is not my relative? how to convince immigration that it is my good friend and not fake for visa app?

No, if you are going down the shady route then write your salary at 20k. Not likely anyone would check and for a couple that would be tax free anyway with the exemption.

im a student, she is dependant. we therefore do not have salary.

Hi eStudent, I can tell you my own experience. I am HK Permanent ID holder, and did the dependent visa for my husband. My father has a flat in HK which he owns and allow us to live there temporarily. So, for the sake of visa application, I got a letter from my father (which I drafted), stating that he is willing to let his daughter and son-in-law staying in the flat rent free indefinitely. This letter is signed by my father with his HKID card number on it. Then you will need a copy of the deed of the flat to show the person really own that flat. Bottom line, we got his visa. Just make sure when you prepare any supporting documents, you need to be clear.

Good luck.

aww, i see. your case is that owner is relative. my case is that owner is friend. that is why im worried if they can accept it.

From my understanding, you can actually state the rent as $1/monthly which makes the contract valid. There ought to be some economic value exchange to both parties even if it is some negligible amount. But for VISA application, I am quite familiar with HK's process as I had to go through it recently. It is better if the owner is a relative and the immigration requires you to have a reasonable annual salary that can support the both of you. (i.e. the dependent one)