Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

Helping Daughter apply for British Citizenship

Closed Thread

Helping Daughter apply for British Citizenship

Hi Guys

My wife got her British citizenship by descent however in her case, it appears she is eligible for British citizenship via naturalization as she has fulfilled all the required criteria.

I would like my daughter (5 mths old) to obtain British citizenship. Is it possible for us to help my wife apply for a naturalization certificate in order for my daughter to obtain her's?

Thanks for your comments in advance

I hold a Canadian passport

Cheers

What nationality does your daughter current hold? If she cannot obtain another nationality, then she may be able to apply for British citizenship, but the general rule is that British citizens by descent cannot transmit their citizenship to children born abroad (same rule applies in Canada and most commonwealth countries).

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../chapter20.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...applying/child

not hard to do, i have done both my son ( 3 years old ) and daughter (1 year old ), used hk birth certificate and their hk sar passport (up to you if you want to apply) for both, my birth certificate ( which i applied for new original copy online) and my uk passport, took around 7 weeks to do

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I don't think that someone who is a British citizen by descent can change to being a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

However, there are circumstances under which your child could get British citizenship. We're talking about a mix of the following the parent living in the UK for three years, a grandparent who was British otherwise than by descent at the time of the parent's birth, the child and parent living in the UK for three years before the application. Do any of these apply?

Have the next one in the UK.

wtbhotia and imparanoic like this.

What nationality does your daughter current hold? If she cannot obtain another nationality, then she may be able to apply for British citizenship
    Seems the Father holds Canadian Passport which would automatically assume that the daughter can apply for that also so dont think that would help her case.

IMHO I dont think the kid can get British citizenship as the mother already got it by Decent and cants be passed down, If she naturalizes then maybe her next kid can get it automatically by decent if born outside of UK.
    imparanoic likes this.

Thank you for all your replies

I will definitely look into them

Cheers