Living in HK, working in Shenzhen. Does it work?

Living in HK, working in Shenzhen. Does it work?

We are family of five and got an job offer from Shenzhen. We hesitate to move there though, would prefer living in HK side, most likely in New Territories. We have EU passport.
    We've been trying to surf here in various sites but complete picture still missing. How this formula might work in practice?
    Questions arising, what kind of visa we should have in HK, is it easy to apply and get? Commuting between HK and Shenzhen, do I need carry my passport every day and get stamps both sides of border and how much does it cost? Time needed for border control process?
    Would really like to hear experiences. I've understood that there is big traffic in border, many students for example, but suppose process for those is easier as they are native at least one side of border.

Waiting for your valuable experiences.

1. If your job offer is in China, you will only get a tourist visa for HK, that is free, for China Visa it will cost you. In HK you will have trouble renting places unless its a hotel or serviced apartments.

2. you will get chops on both sides of the border, your passport will fill up very fast if you do it 5 days a week, (4 chops per day.

3. Commute to shenzhen depending on where you live should be 1hr + unless u live near the border then its going to be a lot less. It takes me 1.5-2 hrs each way from Clear Water bay

4. border control is quite fast but still depends on how many people are in front of you. It usually take me less than 10 mins unless there's like a whole convention in front of me then it can take up to 20-30 mins.

This is my 2 cents. Maybe someone else has other thoughts.

I know there are people who do this, but how do they deal with HK Immigration? If you have kids then they must have HKID to go to school in HK and so on, so they can't simply be living in HK as tourists can they?

Perhaps there are some people reading who are in this situation (foreigners, living in HK with their family, but working in China) who can clarify for us.

Last edited by PDLM; 25-10-2008 at 01:41 PM.

IMO it would be better to live in SZ. HK may have the higher living standard but your commute time/passport always filling up and the risk of immigration becoming suspicious aren't worth it. You also will be restricted on so many things with no id card such as house rentals/cellular service/banks etc.

Better to find a better place in SZ. (You can get a much bigger place much cheaper) Look around Shekou.

[QUOTE=HKChigger;267187Better to find a better place in SZ. (You can get a much bigger place much cheaper) Look around Shekou.[/QUOTE]

Definately listen to HKChigger, Shekou is great for expats, good restaurents, Wal-Mart etc.

check out housing at these following websites Sign In to Shenzhen Stuff - Shenzhen Stuff

Shenzhen and Shekou Party: Apartment Rentals, Bars, Restaurants, Real estate, Jobs, Events, Hotels in Guangdong, China

What about schooling for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    What about schooling for kids?
    International schools list in Shenzhen at your command.

Shenzhen City Guide--Your Guide to Shenzhen Travel,Expat Life, Entertainment and Business