Like Tree1Likes

Arriving in HK withour your ID

Closed Thread

Arriving in HK withour your ID

Hello,

I am working in Hong Kong and my husband is currently in the UK (where he is a citizen), but coming to join me here soon.

When I arrived to start my new job, he came and we went through basic immigration procedures together, applying for our HK ID cards. He also filled out a form giving me permission to collect his from the main office, which I've done. Now, I have his card with me here, but he's coming for a visit next month (and then leaving again before moving over for good). Does he need it to enter the country, or can he come in without it?

Yes come in on the UK passport, pick up ID card and use it to enter next time. I would ensure exit on the UK passport just in case although if the ID card is linked to the passport it should not matter anyway if he exits on the passport or ID card.

I've done that before, and explained to the Immigration official that I'd forgotten to take my ID out of my suitcase. The immigration officer thought I was a bit of an idiot and also found it mildly amusing, and had a raised eyebrow throughout our interaction. lol

I was asked about why I didn't have an exit stamp by airline staff at some point after that and I explained what happened and they chuckled (again) and gave me a weird look. Not sure why that's so unusual...I can't be the only person it's happened to!