Visa tolerance after quitting a job

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visa tolerance after quitting a job

Hi there,

Basic immigration questions:

If i have 1 year visa and my company doest extend it at the end of that year (either because I will quit or will be fired ). What is the tolerance of my stay in HK ? What if it happens just few days before the validity date of that visa. I wont have time to find another company, so does immigration accept to extend my stay?

2nd option:
    What if I quit after the renewal of this visa (this time it will be for 2 years):
    Can i stay few months to look for another job?
    Can i stay officially for the time left until the validy date expires?

Any informations are welcome!

Thanx!

If your visa ends and your company doesn't renew (Either due to quit or termination) you need to leave Hong Kong and come back in as a tourist.

As long as you have a valid work visa you can stay in Hong Kong, but are not allowed to work for any company other than the one that gave you the visa. As long as your visa length is still valid you don't need to leave Hong Kong.

Unless you have a skill set that is in high demand - you may want to consider ... staying where you are at and looking for another job. Not advisable to leave a job until you have one to go to. Another company can easily sponsor your visa.

If you resign after your work visa is extended, your work visa expires with your job. You have two or three weeks to find a new job and apply for a new work visa, or leave HK.

Quote Originally Posted by ebow3d:
    If you resign after your work visa is extended, your work visa expires with your job. You have two or three weeks to find a new job and apply for a new work visa, or leave HK.
    I believe this is not correct. Provided you do not work, you can stay until the visa expires. Obviously, one normally needs to find work to survive in HK given the high costs!

I agree with MovingIn07

To get your visa renewed, you will need a signed letter by your company saying that they will keep you, and they will have to state your renumeration. So if you are fired I don't think your cunning plan will work . In other words, your Option 1 won't work

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I believe this is not correct. Provided you do not work, you can stay until the visa expires. Obviously, one normally needs to find work to survive in HK given the high costs!
    So lets say I quit the job 1 week after the visa is renewed, it means that i have 1 year and 51 weeks to find a new one?
    For someone who has a lot of savings , it allows him to stay for a pretty long time! Without going that far, it seems good if you have some personal projects to develop and need free time for that!

Has anybody tried to take advantage of it in order to develop his company or project?

You can stay, but you can't take up any employment, or charity work, or do anything for money. Which rather limits you.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You can stay, but you can't take up any employment, or charity work, or do anything for money. Which rather limits you.
    ditto.

Theoretically (and almost always practically), as long as your ex-employer does not notify immigration of your termination then you can stay in HK until expiration of your current working visa. However, officially you are obliged to notify ID yourself and you are "encouraged to pack your things and leave" (yes, that's how the guy at ID info counter phrased it!). Taking up any form of employment or business (part time, freelance etc - anything that makes you $$) on that ex-employers visa would be illegal.

So better had establish with your ex-employer whether or not they have notified ID of your termination.

Good luck and enjoy your sabbatical!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast