Like Tree5Likes

Right to Abode for OVERSEAS BABY?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Right to Abode for OVERSEAS BABY?

I hold a Singapore passport but I was born in China in the 80s.
    I also hold a HKID 3* since my father was born and raise in HK.

Anyways, I am about to go back Singapore to give birth and come back when the baby is a few months old. Baby Daddy is American working full time in HK (been 6 years going 7). We all live in HK full time.

When my baby is born, she will have Singapore passport by birth and American passport by descent. What about the Right to Abode in HK? Can i apply HKPR for her when I come back HK? Since I have HKID PR, will my baby have HKPR too? How do I apply her to live in Hong Kong LGEALLY? or become Resident?

Thanks for advice.

In my non professional opinion, most likely not. They will deem that you were settled abroad (even if you aren't/weren't technically living in Singapore) based off the fact that you hold a Singaporean passport and considered a Singaporean citizen.

Although situations like these are always case by case. I have had friends who were similar to your situation, except replace Singapore with UK, and some babies were given ROA and deemed Chinese citizens, while others were not.

But I plan to enrol my kid into ESF system here. What pass could I get for my kid to even legally stay in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by RoxyRider:
    But I plan to enrol my kid into ESF system here. What pass could I get for my kid to even legally stay in HK?

Dependant visa under you.

I have perm HKID but am a housewife. Only my husband (American passport) works. So dependent visa under him i suppose? How often do you renew it? Thanks for answers

Quote Originally Posted by RoxyRider:
    I have perm HKID but am a housewife. Only my husband (American passport) works. So dependent visa under him i suppose? How often do you renew it? Thanks for answers
    If you are using husband's work visa, the renewal will follow the work visa validity.

If you apply using ur permenant id, citing fathers work income as supporting, it can be 1-3-3 year pattern.
    Last edited by shafiq; 13-03-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Doesn't matter if you work or not. You are a HKPR, the kid can get a dependent visa under you. It's your kid, you don't even have to show income.

emx likes this.

Only citizenship can be passed on by descent, not permanent residence. Eg a child born to US green card holder outside the US does not inherit the green card status, but a citizenship child can inherit US citizenship. A child born to a Singapore PR overseas does not get Singapore PR status.

In HKs case, only Chinese citizenship can be passed on by descent (under certain conditions), not a PR status. Assuming you do not have Chinese nationality, your child born oversees will not have any immigration status in HK, and has to be sponsored to live here on a dependent visa. If you still have Chinese nationality (what citizenship did you renounce when taking up SG citizenship - British or, Chinese), then it's a different story.

Your child will have Singapore and US citizenship for now. As Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, when he becomes adult if he does not renounce the US citizenship he will automatically lose Singapore citizenship.

Last edited by kma88; 13-03-2016 at 11:13 AM.

You can try to apply. If the baby does not have right of abode at birth, you can try to apply for him or her as a dependent of you. But he or she is only eligible as a dependent if you live in Hong Kong as a permanent resident, other requirements include having adequate fund to support the dependent and no criminal record.

Both HK and Singapore do not allow dual citizenships. Either the child lives in HK as a Chinese national, or as another national.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    You can try to apply. If the baby does not have right of abode at birth, you can try to apply for him or her as a dependent of you. But he or she is only eligible as a dependent if you live in Hong Kong as a permanent resident, other requirements include having adequate fund to support the dependent and no criminal record.

Both HK and Singapore do not allow dual citizenships. Either the child lives in HK as a Chinese national, or as another national.
    If hk don't allow dual citizenship, please explain why my son and daughter has full UK passport and hk Sar passport.

Even politicians until recently had Canadian passport as well as hk Sar passport
    wtbhotia likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast