Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IceEagle

First HKID application

Closed Thread

First HKID application

Hi. Both my parents have a HKID and Chinese passport besides having a uk passport. I was born in the uk but I now want to apply for a HKID. I have contacted IMMD several times and I've ended up with two different forms. One is the ROP145 and the other is the ROP143. ROP143 doesn't seem right. Do you know which one I need to fill in? Is it ROP145 and I just tick entered with a valid passport for the declaration. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cupasoup28:
    Hi. Both my parents have a HKID and Chinese passport besides having a uk passport. I was born in the uk but I now want to apply for a HKID. I have contacted IMMD several times and I've ended up with two different forms. One is the ROP145 and the other is the ROP143. ROP143 doesn't seem right. Do you know which one I need to fill in? Is it ROP145 and I just tick entered with a valid passport for the declaration. Thanks

If you're aplying in HK. ROP145 & ROP145B. When were you born and what year did your parents settle in the UK without any visas? like Indefinite leave to remain or permanent resident?

My parents came over in the 70s. I was born in 1977. I don't know when they were granted permanent stay but I'll be in HK when I apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupasoup28:
    My parents came over in the 70s. I was born in 1977. I don't know when they were granted permanent stay but I'll be in HK when I apply.
    In their colonial Hong Kong passport it should say something like "The holder of this passport is permitted to reside in the UK without condition" and the date. If either parent got this stamp after you were born then you are considered a Chinese national of Hong Kong which would entitle you to a Permanent Hong Kong Identity Card, HKSAR Passport and a Mainland Travel Permit card also known as a Home Return Permit.

First check carefully if you are a PR of HK right now, or just Right to Land.

You are not a Chinese national, if you were born in the UK with parents settled there at your time of birth. In such case, you are eligible to the Right to Land in HK if born before the handover to China.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    First check carefully if you are a PR of HK right now, or just Right to Land.

You are not a Chinese national, if you were born in the UK with parents settled there at your time of birth. In such case, you are eligible to the Right to Land in HK if born before the handover to China.
    Not so! Or at least, it's still more complicated - that is the case only if at least one parent was born in HK, or if at least one parent was a BDTC/CUKC when you were born. (Well, it's even more complicated - marital status is also a factor.)

If none of the above is the case, you can't get RTL either.

I recommend checking out Hairball's excellent guide, which explains all the cases in more detail: A Guide to the Right of Abode in Hong Kong - HKID for ABC, CBC, BBC
    Last edited by IceEagle; 16-03-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    shri likes this.

Though I suppose you could try to join dossier in his "Hong Kong Compatriot" argument.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread...ml#post3294217