Like Tree3Likes

non-permanent HKID for my wife who holds China ID

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

OP doesn't have to work in HK to sponsor, but to reside. The question is how far that can be stretched. I believe at least he has to have an address of residence from where he would travel at times.

It's kind of weird. Should not be necc. for HK Chinese, though I guess it is

Are you employed by a Hong Kong company and seconded to Beijing? That alone with some lose ties will qualify you as being "ordinary resident" of Hong Kong.

HK Immigration is not responsible for issuing HK visas for Mainland Chinese.

There is another type of HK visa issued by Mainland PSB for Mainland spouses to visit their HK spouses. You may not quality if you don't live in Hong Kong.

Forget about One-Way Permit, mainland chinese will lose their hukous and mainland chinese id cards if they settle in Hong Kong with One-Way Permits.

Any other type of ways will require her intending to live in HK for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by KLM2308:
    I've been asking around, and actually asked HK immigration too... but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. Can my wife apply for a non-permanent HKID (the one that doesn't require her to give up Chinese citizenship) ?

Apparently, just because I'm a HK citizen, doesn't mean my wife can automatically qualify for even a non-permanent HKID. This is what I've heard from HK immigration before.
    Last edited by hgcsc; 30-03-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    To keep the mainland hukou, just don't apply for PR after 7 years and continue to renew your visa.
    hukou is lost once the one-way chinese exit permit is approved. HK gov will give her a Document of Identity (aka Gold Passport) for travel.
    Last edited by dumbdonkey; 30-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.

These spouses can only use Home Return Permits to enter and leave Mainland China after they have entered HK with One Way Permits. And they are required to bring a Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes to enter and leave Hong Kong. They are no longer eligible for id cards and travel documents issued by Mainland China.

You guys missed the point. We've been discussing how to come to HK without using the one way permit, in order not to lose the hukou. There are many mainlanders living and working in HK who did not enter using one way permit, and continue to travel with their mainland passport.

As I said in me previous thread, i know of a case where the mainland spouse came to HK using quality migrant scheme instead of one way permit, as she does not want to lose hukou. After 7 years, she can choose not to apply for PR and continue to renew the visa instead, in order to keep the hukou.

Last edited by kma88; 30-03-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks for all your replies....

Just to reiterate some key points:
    - My wife doesn't want to lose her Beijing hukou.
    - The goal for us is to get her a Non-PR HKID card; purely for the convenience of skipping the long lines at the Shenzhen border AND so that we can stay in HK for longer than the allowed 7days.
    - I myself am not employed by a HongKong company. (does this mean I cannot sponsor her?)

Does anyone know if it's even possible to apply for a non-PR HKID card with a Canadian Permanent Resident card?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To be issued with a non-PR ID card, the person has to have permission to reside in Hong Kong. Permission to reside elsewhere doesn't come into it, except when sponsoring a dependent visa for her*. The dependent visa would give her permission to reside in Hong Kong, which kicks in the ID card requirement.

* Edited following kma88's post.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 09-05-2016 at 12:46 PM.

I believe as long as your wife has a Canadian PR, she would then not be subject the exit restrictions of the Chinese authorities, and you can apply to sponsor her on a dependent visa to HK just like other foreigners. And it does matter if she has a permanent resident status elsewhere. That's a question they ask on the sponsor form, as presumably the visa holder would need to return to that place of permanent residence when the visa expires.

For a question like this, you should email the immigration department: [email protected]
    As it is a general question, they should be able to answer it within 2 days.