UK Visa for Spouse

Closed Thread

UK Visa for Spouse

A work colleague of mine holds a UK passport, as does his daughter. His wife is HKSAR passport holder.

Their daughter is going to school in the UK next year and his wife needs to accompany her there (medical issues). He doesn't want to risk her going in and out on visa runs.

The husband will remain in Hong Kong.

Can anyone tell me what procedure she will need to follow to allow her to be resident in the UK with her daughter while she is at school. Or indeed if this is possible?

Thank you.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

How old is the child?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    How old is the child?
    She's 16

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    A work colleague of mine holds a UK passport, as does his daughter. His wife is HKSAR passport holder.

Their daughter is going to school in the UK next year and his wife needs to accompany her there (medical issues). He doesn't want to risk her going in and out on visa runs.

The husband will remain in Hong Kong.

Can anyone tell me what procedure she will need to follow to allow her to be resident in the UK with her daughter while she is at school. Or indeed if this is possible?

Thank you.
    I think they need to speak with someone directly because it is a special case. I would have thought the Consulate would help (but probably won't).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Don't know whether they'd qualify for this one (Coming to look after your child - fee £1,195):

Coming to look after your child

Your child must be under 18, living in the UK, and either a British citizen or settled in the UK.

You must prove that either:

you’re the only parent of the child and you’re the only person who’s responsible for them (you have ‘sole responsibility’)
    your child lives permanently with another parent or carer who’s British or settled in the UK and not your partner, and you want to help raise them (you’ll need to prove you have access to your child in person, either agreed with the other parent or carer, or by a court order)

You must also:

prove you’re taking an active role in the child’s upbringing
    be able to support and accommodate yourself without claiming public funds

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 21-04-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Don't know whether they'd qualify for this one (Coming to look after your child - fee £1,195):

Thanks Claire, will look into this. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think they need to speak with someone directly because it is a special case. I would have thought the Consulate would help (but probably won't).
    Nail on the head there hull, he tried and was given a number to call. They were going to charge him GBP1.40 per minute! And he'd probably be none the wiser at the end of it.

I may have a friend of a friend who knows the UK Consul here, might try that avenue. He really just needs to speak to someone directly with the information he needs but easier said than done!

Hi Claire - unfortunately not a fit:

You must prove that either:

you’re the only parent of the child and you’re the only person who’s responsible for them (you have ‘sole responsibility’) - NEGATIVE

your child lives permanently with another parent or carer who’s British or settled in the UK and not your partner, and you want to help raise them (you’ll need to prove you have access to your child in person, either agreed with the other parent or carer, or by a court order) - NEGATIVE

But thanks again for going to the trouble