Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof

changing employers near 7 year mark

Closed Thread

changing employers near 7 year mark

Could someone advice what happens if one switches employers 6 months before permanent residency eligibility mark (eg: @6.5 years).

Is the new visa issued only for 6 months or another stamp of 2 years?
    Would one still be eligible to apply for PR upon reaching year 7?
    Is there any other risk to getting PR status in changing jobs within year 6?

You can remain till the validity date of your current visa. Does that take you past the 7 year mark?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Changing employers won't affect your PR application; however, you will need to get the new employer to sponsor your employment visa. ImmD will issue it as usual, i.e. not just till you reach the 7-year mark.

If you change employer without being away from Hong Kong for an extended time or losing residency, you're fine. They'll probably give you a stamp for 2 years as getting PR is not an automatic thing. You have to apply for it once you reach 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by nagernager:
    If you change employer without being away from Hong Kong for an extended time or losing residency, you're fine.
    In friend of mine, while inbetween jobs, took a 3 month time-out from HK for some travel. So he didn't fulfill the the 7 years continuously.

Und one note for the desperate ones, jail time in HK does also not count as 'ordinary stay'.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    In friend of mine, while inbetween jobs, took a 3 month time-out from HK for some travel. So he didn't fulfill the the 7 years continuously.

Und one note for the desperate ones, jail time in HK does also not count as 'ordinary stay'.
    During the 3 months away from HK, did your friend not have a valid visa?

My understanding is that as long as you have continuous visas, with no period away from HK of 6+ months then it is fine.

When you are reaching your 7 year mark, usually your visa should be longer than the 7 year mark to give you time to get your PR sorted. Until you have PR, regardless of the 7 year mark, you need approval to change employers.

Current visa renewals are 3 years provided you have a permenant contract. Initial visas are 2 years, again provided it's a permenant contract.

Hi- as above, your new employer would need to sponsor your Visa if you haven't got permanent residency. They would submit this via the immigration department, and usually takes 3-4 weeks to process. You wouldn't be able to start work until the Visa sponsorship is approved.