Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By er2
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 2 Post By er2

IANG vs Employment Visa

Closed Thread

Question IANG vs Employment Visa

Background

I am currently holding an 'IANG' visa which is expiring soon. My employer is willing to provide sponsorship for an 'Employment visa'.

I am wondering what are the differences between going for a renewal of the 'IANG' and applying for the sponsored 'Employment visa':

Questions

1) Previously the IANG allowed me to live and work in Hong Kong, irregardless of whether I was working or just sleeping at home. Would having the 'Employment visa' give me the same time (subject to expiry of the visa) to search for new work if I leave this sponsoring company?

2) The IANG allowed me to switch jobs without even updating the Immigration, because I had a 1 year of a grace period essentially. Would the 'Employment visa' have the same flexibility? (otherwise having the Employment visa would handicap my future interviews, as compared to the IANG)

Thank you!
    Xaos

Absolutely no point moving to an employment (GEP) visa. IANG is pretty much the best kind of visa you can have - pretty much the only visa with a similar degree of freedom is a dependant visa. Moving to GEP has zero advantages (even the paperwork for it is easier). Also, your upcoming IANG extension should give you a two year period of do-whatever-pays-the-bills.

Xaos and SalseroHK like this.

+1 on what ER2 said.

Also employers usually like people on IANG visas. Less hassle for them - so easier to change jobs. (the visa is yours, no employer sponsorship needed).

Xaos and SalseroHK like this.

Thank you ER2 and HK_Katherine.

I just spoke with my HR department and they mentioned that the timing of the renewal of the IANG (and the expiry of my IANG) might clash with the 1month overseas training. Hence, be unable to renew the IANG in Hong Kong.

GEP might be my only choice, as I can apply for it before work starts.

Question
    Is it possible to renew the IANG prior to the 4 weeks timeline? or Switch back to IANG after hopping onto the GEP boat?

You'll need to speak to ImmD about the procedure, but being temporary outside of HK is not a problem for visa applications.

The way your case sounds, I'm half suspicious that your employer would prefer if you didn't have the opportunity to switch jobs at a whim

HK_Katherine, Xaos and SalseroHK like this.