Like Tree2Likes

Dependent Visa Work Authorization in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependent Visa Work Authorization in HK

Hi All,
    I came here in HK on work visa and my wife on dependent visa. Few days back my wife got a job offer in IT.
    Per her new HK employer, she can work immediately NO NEED for work permit.
    I am not sure if this is right.
    Can you expert people confirm what is correct.
    Thanks,
    Green2020

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

That is correct. Unless stated otherwise on her visa, she can work for whomever she likes on a dependent visa and can change employers without any issue.

civil_servant likes this.

Her new employer is correct.

Thanks Claire for quick response.
    I do have only 2 years of work visa... there is limit on my stay in HK.
    Are you sure still my wife can work for any employer without work permit.
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Green2020

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

From the ImmD website:

Q5:Can dependants admitted under the dependant policy take up employment in Hong Kong?

Dependants of the following persons are not prohibited from taking up employment in the HKSAR:

1. Hong Kong permanent residents;
    2. persons who are not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. residents with the right to land or on unconditional stay);
    3. persons who have been admitted for employment (as professionals, for investment as entrepreneurs or for training); and
    4. entrants under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme or the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme.
    The bold part applies to you. If she were not permitted to work, this would be indicated on her visa.

(Q5: Hong Kong Visas | Immigration Department)
    civil_servant likes this.

Click on the "After Applying" tab and review the conditions of stay.

Dependants | Immigration Department

No issue at all. When you renew your visa, she renews her visa. Renewals are pretty straightforward. IF, for some strange reason, your visas are not renewed then she would have to stop work - but I've never come across that.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    No issue at all. When you renew your visa, she renews her visa. Renewals are pretty straightforward. IF, for some strange reason, your visas are not renewed then she would have to stop work - but I've never come across that.
    I'd also assume that if you stop working, her employer would be able to sponsor her work visa considering she's been working with them for 2 years. Not sure whether this is a correct assumption. I'm curious what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'd also assume that if you stop working, her employer would be able to sponsor her work visa considering she's been working with them for 2 years. Not sure whether this is a correct assumption. I'm curious what others think.
    Provided the position meets the criteria to hire a foreigner and applicant has skills not readily available in HK. This could be easy to write in some ways, but you have to hit the key points. Applicant is likely to need a university degree as well, although some have noted exceptions to this based on high salary packages with years upon years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by green2020:
    Hi All,
    I came here in HK on work visa and my wife on dependent visa. Few days back my wife got a job offer in IT.
    Per her new HK employer, she can work immediately NO NEED for work permit.
    I am not sure if this is right.
    Can you expert people confirm what is correct.
    Thanks,
    Green2020
    Yes this is correct, your wife can work for any employer in any role without permission needed until the end date written in her passport.

You follow the date and at the end of your two year visa, you apply for an extension in advance to avoid any lapses.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast