Like Tree1Likes

parents with hkid, would i be able to obtain one?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bottleswater:
    kma88, I assume this means both parents cannot be US citizens/green card holders? I thought it was at least one of the two. okay, well that clears things up. i guess it is disappointing a little bit, but nothing i will lose sleep over. thanks for clearing this up!
    The law is not very clear. From post by others on the forum I think as long as one Chinese parent is not green card its good enough for HK immigration. But you need to apply for it to find out if this is in fact the case.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    The law is not very clear. From post by others on the forum I think as long as one Chinese parent is not green card its good enough for HK immigration. But you need to apply for it to find out if this is in fact the case.
    If you do apply, it is up to you to provide the necessary evidence to support your case; ImmD doesn't look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bottleswater:
    Reading the article that pertains to my situation-- please correct me if I am wrong. I have RTL if and only if at least one of my parents were not US citizens or green card holders at the time of my birth despite me being a US citizen and able to apply/obtain HKID. If both of my parents were citizens/green card holders at the time, I am not eligible for RTL and therefore not able to apply/obtain HKID.
    As kma88 pointed out, you are confusing Chinese nationality and RTL here. What you said is true for Chinese nationality and Chinese nationality derived ROA, but not RTL.

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    RTL is for people for had RoA but lost it and downgraded to RTL - mainly those who got RoA by inheriting the old HK British nationality (BDTC, BNO, etc) from their parents. It is not relevant to you as your parents were not born in HK and thus never had HK British nationality.
    Though it's possible, if not very likely, that at least one of his parents obtained BDTC status (e.g. through naturalisation before 1997). If that's the case, there should be a record of this somewhere, and if the OP can find it then the OP can prove that the OP holds RTL.

Incidently, I do recall reading somewhere that prior to the handover, individuals from Taiwan (who only had ROC passports and no other status) who lived in Hong Kong were considered de facto stateless (and different from, e.g. mainlanders who had arrived on HK and were considered Chinese permanent residents there). The set of inconviences from this may have made an application to naturalise as a BDTC more likely than it would have been otherwise...

What documents his or her parents used to enter the US?

a British national passport or something else?