Like Tree1Likes

Top Tier GEP Visa - $2M+ Annual Salary

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Top Tier GEP Visa - $2M+ Annual Salary

Wait a minute. If my current salary is 2m+, then I can apply for a work visa to stay in HK for another 6 years and, during those 6 years, work for whoever I want without informing immigration? What if I get this visa and then change to a part-time job and start earning much less than 2m, do I still keep this right to work here and the right to apply for PR when the time comes? What about my dependants?

MandM! likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by 441211:
    Wait a minute. If my current salary is 2m+, then I can apply for a work visa to stay in HK for another 6 years and, during those 6 years, work for whoever I want without informing immigration? What if I get this visa and then change to a part-time job and start earning much less than 2m, do I still keep this right to work here and the right to apply for PR when the time comes? What about my dependants?
    Your questions answered.

Enhancement Measures on Admission Schemes for Talent, Professionals and Entrepreneurs | Immigration Department

Obviously it doesn't apply to dependants.

To add, it doesn't apply to dependants as it is conditional on the type of visa held, i.e. General Employment Policy (GEP) or the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP).

Yes, basically you can do whatever you want. The full freedom visa with enough time granted to give you PR.

Although dependents are usually given the same amount of time as the sponsor (my dependent visa always expires on the same day as my husband's).

I assume that a dependent of a top tier visa holder would also be given a 6 year dependent visa, and I can't see it written anywhere that they would be treated differently. It would be a bit strange to say you can stay for 6 years, but we are only going to let your spouse & child stay for 2 and then we'll have a rethink.

However, if an applicant is permitted to remain in Hong Kong on time limitation only without other conditions of stay under the top-tier stream, he/she only needs to notify the Immigration Department in writing upon change of employment within his/her permitted limit of stay.
    @DeletedUser - From what I've read the Top Tier visa for the lack of a better term, removes the employer restriction and is converted to a time restricted visa. MandM is refereing to the top tier visa.

Introduction of Admission Schemes for Talent, Professionals and Entrepreneurs | Immigration Department

We have launched some enhancement measures -
    Relax pattern of duration of stay from “1+2+2+3” years to “2+3+3” years
    Relax eligible top-tier entrants’ pattern of duration of stay from “1+2+2+3” years to “2+6” years; on time limitation with no other conditions of stay upon extension

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @DeletedUser - From what I've read the Top Tier visa for the lack of a better term, removes the employer restriction and is converted to a time restricted visa. MandM is refereing to the top tier visa.

Introduction of Admission Schemes for Talent, Professionals and Entrepreneurs | Immigration Department
    I read it as the top-tier visa being a time-restricted one, albeit six years.

However, if an applicant is permitted to remain in Hong Kong on time limitation only without other conditions of stay under the top-tier stream, he/she only needs to notify the Immigration Department in writing upon change of employment within his/her permitted limit of stay.

The difference being "apply" and "notify".

Original Post Deleted
    TB - I disagree.

You referenced Question #8 on HK Immd's website:

Enhancement Measures on Admission Schemes for Talent, Professionals and Entrepreneurs | Immigration Department

The key point that you missed is the second part of the sentence that you quoted:

"However, if an applicant is permitted to remain in Hong Kong on time limitation only without other conditions of stay under the top-tier stream, he/she only needs to notify the Immigration Department in writing upon change of employment within his/her permitted limit of stay."

The top-tier extension under GEP is only a time limitation with no other condition.

Copied from the HK Immd website:

"Relax eligible top-tier entrants’ pattern of duration of stay from “1+2+2+3” years to “2+6” years; on time limitation with no other conditions of stay upon extension."

Hence, the top tier 6 year extension provides:

-Enough time to be eligible for PR provided you meet the time in HK requirements

-The ability to work for any employer without approval needed from immigration.

So how does ti work - if you enter on an employment restriction visa, and eventually end up making more than 2m, then will you automatically switch to the time-limited visa when you renew? Or do you have to apply to switch over (if at all possible)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast