Like Tree5Likes

Irish Passport - Application Witness

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Email them again, mark it urgent. Not that the information you'll get would be different in an email, but rather that the person who may be knowledgeable on the subject isn't in the building when you make a phone call. Or if you call, ask to speak to the consular general.

Or maybe even go down in person.

TeachHK likes this.

I asked the Vice-Consul in-charge of visa and citizenship applications. Even if she's wrong, I'm sure nothing will leave the office in HK without her approval.

Just an update too. I went into my local bank (HSBC), and they said they won't do it. Unsurprising really though, for the world's least helpful bank.

Have you never been to the Doctor?

TeachHK likes this.

Do you think they'll sign it? I was unsure as I don't go very often.
    My old doctor, who I saw a few times, moved back to the UK.
    I've been to another one once. I'll email them, but I'm not sure as they don't really know me.

I'm thinking is Ireland stuck in the 1960s!?! haha. The list of people they provide is really is ridiculous. It's like they expect everyone to know the local priest and local doctor.

Natfixit likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    I've been to another one once. I'll email them, but I'm not sure as they don't really know me.

I'm thinking is Ireland stuck in the 1960s!?! haha. The list of people they provide is really is ridiculous. It's like they expect everyone to know the local priest and local doctor.
    Or have had multiple run-ins with the police and magistrates!
    TeachHK likes this.

They may do, it doesn't hurt to ask. They don't need to know you on a personal level. They are known to you as a client that is sufficient.

contact the Gaelic football club. There are a few doctors and lawyers there. If still stuck, St. Pats society could point you towards an Irish priest.

Hi,

I'm looking to apply for my first Irish passport, but I have a big problem. I've got all the documents I need together (birth certificate, photos, form etc.), but I need someone to witness the application.

Now to get a British passport this is no problem, as I know quite a lot of people, even in Hong Kong, who can witness the application.

However! Ireland requires and will only allow someone you are 'known to' and who is a....

• Police Officer (including collar number and Station Stamp if available)
    • Members of the Clergy (We define a member of the Clergy as a person who can officiate at Ceremonies e.g. Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals etc.)
    • Medical Doctor
    • Lawyer
    • Bank Manager/Building Society Manager
    • School Principal/Head of Department at University/College (And I have already been down this route! It must be a government school or university - not private :@)
    • Magistrate/Judge

The problem being that I don't know any of these people. I've even asked around, but just can't find anyone that I am 'known to'.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I phoned the consulate here in HK, and while the girl was friendly - she basically couldn't offer any advice. She said they (I think she was referring to the office in Ireland) are very strict - so she couldn't really give any advice.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    The Irish Chamber of Commerce is also located in the same building/ office as the consulate. Perhaps you could ask Peter Ryan ( President of the Irish Chamber of Commerce) for advice as to who may be able to witness your documents.

Also contact the St Patrick's Society - drop them an email as they would also be able to help. Last stand ( I had the same problem and I am sure there are many expats have the same predicament - my dentist, now retired was the only other Aussie who could witness my new Aussie passport and knew me for over a year. I guess you are a teacher by your nom de plume - there are many Irish teachers around...one I know works at the German - Swiss International School and is a member of St Pats Society HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Or have had multiple run-ins with the police and magistrates!
    Reminds me, I just finished a book by the Irish magistrate Kathleen O'malley on her dysfunctional childhood, and yes, EVERYone knew who you were. But, with the Catholic education as a cog in the wheel, the world has become bigger and too many people to count...

Peter Ryan's actually the consular general, not president of the chamber of commerce. But I agree that he could be contacted, may prove helpful!