Like Tree23Likes

Permanent residency. Plz help!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    ROA is permanent resident. ROA holder will get HK Permanent ID card

RTL is resident. RTL will just get HK ID card.

By law, when you reach age of 21, you lose your ROA. You then have to gain back ROA by residing in HK at your own power. When ROA is downgraded to RTL, no one gets kicked out...
    Ok so right now I have ROA because I am not 21 yet. This means that I can get a permanent ID card.

Once I'm 21 I will no longer have ROA but as you said I will be downgraded to right to land right? This means I can live in Hong Kong but cant vote and i can get removed in extreme situations.

Do those rules still apply to someone who is all the way in England?

Which one do you get if you fail to be present in HK for 36+ months. RTL or ROA?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Does RTL have full rights to work for any employer without permission? In that case how does the Employee prove their eligibility to work in HK to the Employer. Given they just have a standard HKID card.
    The code under the date of birth “R” denotes right to land.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/hkid/smartid.html
    Hinnaxo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinnaxo:
    Ok so right now I have ROA because I am not 21 yet. This means that I can get a permanent ID card.

Once I'm 21 I will no longer have ROA but as you said I will be downgraded to right to land right? This means I can live in Hong Kong but cant vote and i can get removed in extreme situations.

Do those rules still apply to someone who is all the way in England?
    Are you sure you have ROA and HK PID card. If yes, where you absent from HK for continuous period of 36 months? If yes, you will lose your ROA. This is the case for someone, not a chinese national, who has left HK and residing elsewhere..
    Hinnaxo likes this.

Does RTL have full rights to work for any employer without permission? In that case how does the Employee prove their eligibility to work in HK to the Employer. Given they just have a standard HKID card.
    RTL does let you work in Hong Kong.
    And if you haven't been to Hong Kong in 36 months then you will have right to land
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Are you sure you have ROA and HK PID card. If yes, where you absent from HK for continuous period of 36 months? If yes, you will lose your ROA. This is the case for someone, not a chinese national, who has left HK and residing elsewhere..
    Well both of my parents had ROA at the time of my birth but I do not have a HK PID. My dad has ROA and my mum now has RTL.

And Yes I have been absent from Hong Kong for longer then 36 months.

So once someone gets PR, they would get *** followed by A and for overseas born foreigner would get an O so ***AO, is that right?

And if you leave for 36+ months and come back, would you be red flagged and asked to surrender your PID and to apply for a normal HKID card?

I guess as far as checking eligibility for employment it doesn't matter as you would still be eligible for RTL even if you lost your PID.

Hinnaxo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinnaxo:
    Well both of my parents had ROA at the time of my birth but I do not have a HK PID. My dad has ROA and my mum now has RTL.

And Yes I have been absent from Hong Kong for longer then 36 months.
    Then it sounds like at minimum you would be eligible for RTL which gives you the right to work and live in HK.

Would OP have to wait 7 years to get the PID again? There isn't much more benefit having PID vs RTL from what people are saying.
    Hinnaxo likes this.

And if you leave for 36+ months and come back, would you be red flagged and asked to surrender your PID and to apply for a normal HKID card?
    I'm not sure about that. I guess you would have to change it right?

So once someone gets PR, they would get *** followed by A and for overseas born foreigner would get an O so ***AO, is that right?

I guess as far as checking eligibility for employment it doesn't matter as you would still be eligible for RTL even if you lost your PID.
    *** is only for people who are 18+ and eligible to apply for hksar return permit.... Overseas born foreigner gets AO..hk born foreigner gets AZ..

I dont think they will ask you to change the id card...i am not sure if border control enforces such steps....surely, the status will get downgraded....