Like Tree1Likes

dependent visa if getting divorced

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow dependent visa if getting divorced

My friend is owp holder and just got her hkid for 2 years. They have a son, who is suffering from autism. Since the kid was diagnozed as autism, their relationship has gone from bad to worse. It has come to the point that she consider a divorce. She would like to know what would happen if they divorced in terms of how her dependent visa goes. She would like to stay in hk as her child is going to a school in hk.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Deleted (missed the OWP info in the OP)

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 26-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Do one way permit holders still have to go through the 2+2+3 year visa applications, I thought they were different, once in your in type of permit

one way permit and dependent visa are different things. which one is she on?

if its dependent visa, then no it would not be renewed upon expiry as it requires the sponsor to reconfirm the sponsor/dependent relationship.

if its one way permit, then the holder's stay in HK is unconditional.

in any case, does it make a difference to the person to be officially divorced, or could they just live separately.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    if its one way permit, then the holder's stay in HK is unconditional.
    Yah thats what I was thinking as well, reading that once they get OWP approved and come to HK:

they must surrender their mainland household registration, or hukou and lose all rights associated with it, including education and subsidised health care in cities or compensation for requisitioned farmland in the countryside.

Just out of curiosity, assuming a DV holder went through the usual 1+3+3 or 1+2+2+2, and let's say got divorced on the 6th year of stay but continued staying in HK till the expiry of the visa, would he/she be granted PR?

I sent you pm, please check.

yeah OWP is like a no man's land. One is neither a PR of HK nor the mainland, and is not entitled to the HKSAR or mainland Chinese passport.

Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    Just out of curiosity, assuming a DV holder went through the usual 1+3+3 or 1+2+2+2, and let's say got divorced on the 6th year of stay but continued staying in HK till the expiry of the visa, would he/she be granted PR?
    if the visa expiry date is past the 7 year mark, I would say getting PR would be straight forward.

She is a owp holder. I didn't know dependent visa and owp are different. So is she entitled to CSSA if they do get divorced or live separately considering she would need to raise the kid? I am sorry but I don't know if I can ask about questions like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast