Like Tree21Likes

Spouse Visa for/to UK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Spouse Visa for/to UK

Hi Good evening everyone,

Im just new to this site and i really need some advise. Me and my boyfriend are planning to get married this coming May 2. My relationship with him just started last October of 2016, I went to U.K to meet him last December and im going back again either march or april before the wedding. I was able to get a visit visa through the help of my sister's husband who is also a british citizen and it will gonna be my third time to visit U.K if i will go this coming March, now my concern is, will they gonna question the lenght of my relationship with my bf? Is there a chance for me to be approved for the spouse visa? Been here in Hk for more than a year now. Hope for your kind response. Thanks in advance

This thread is about the spouse visa for HK, I think you are talking about the UKs spouse visa which I have done extensive research on.

Spouse visa for the UK has draconian rules, your bf either needs to be earning 18.6k a year (and must have 6 months minimum of wage slips to prove this), that 18.6k salary cannot be accrued from multiple jobs, it can only be one. Or your boyfriend must have 62k in savings, they must have been in his account for some time. Your savings and your earnings will not be taken into account, unless you have maybe had a joint bank account for some time.

This is a policy implemented by our PM when she was the immigration minister, it is well known to have torn apart many families where the spouse came from outside the UK or EEA.

If your spouse does not meet the requirements there is another way called the surinder singh route, however with the brexit I am not sure if this method still works or how much longer it will last.

Also jbmf, I will make sure to hit you up soon. Last day working here in Chinafornia before a 2 week holiday.

Thanks for your response, so my savings is not really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Palace:
    This thread is about the spouse visa for HK, I think you are talking about the UKs spouse visa which I have done extensive research on.

Spouse visa for the UK has draconian rules, your bf either needs to be earning 18.6k a year (and must have 6 months minimum of wage slips to prove this), that 18.6k salary cannot be accrued from multiple jobs, it can only be one. Or your boyfriend must have 62k in savings, they must have been in his account for some time. Your savings and your earnings will not be taken into account, unless you have maybe had a joint bank account for some time.

This is a policy implemented by our PM when she was the immigration minister, it is well known to have torn apart many families where the spouse came from outside the UK or EEA.

If your spouse does not meet the requirements there is another way called the surinder singh route, however with the brexit I am not sure if this method still works or how much longer it will last.

Also jbmf, I will make sure to hit you up soon. Last day working here in Chinafornia before a 2 week holiday.
    I don't agree that this UK policy is onerous. Living in the UK is not cheap and it doesn't seem unreasonable that the sponsoring spouse should show they can support their incoming spouse without being a burden on the state. Clearly the savings target is high, but I think it is to put off people who aren't in employment from bringing in spouses. The GBP 18,600 minimum income threshold is well below UK average salary, around the level of the National Living Wage for a full timer and not that much more than Minimum Wage. Also, the upper income limit for being able to claim working tax credits (state benefits for working people on low incomes) is GBP 18,600 for a couple, so I suspect the minimum income threshold has been set just above this limit deliberately.

From my calculation the UK requirement of GBP18.6k a year is below HK requirement of HKD20k a month, or at least on par. Why are people complaining about it? Do I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by mobtrio:
    Why are people complaining about it? Do I miss something?
    You are missing the points:
    - refugees are coming in
    - rich foreigners are coming in
    - Indians, Blacks, Chinese with money are all bringing over their families in droves
    but the normal guy, poor working stiff guys and gals cant bring in their new partners from far away lands (non eu) and they end up living apart. In this case, Love is unable to conquer the immigration.

I am comparing HK requirement and UK requirement. People here seems to think that HK requirement is fine while (some) people here complaining about the UK requirement. Since the requirement is on par or less than HK, I find it quite strange. Unless there are other requirements on top of that. That's why I am asking.

Not interested to discuss immigration/immigrant or whatever here. Please do not derail the thread.

I am comparing HK requirement and UK requirement. People here seems to think that HK requirement is fine while (some) people here complaining about the UK requirement.
    Its a matter of perception:
    The requirement here doesnt hit the local/normal/average joe. The requirement here tends to catch "foreigners" so very few locals whinge about it.

The requirement *there* hits the local/normal/average joe with a Brit passport and he is white, and his family has been in Britlands for 100s of years while the foreigners seem to get an easy ride in (the rich, the refugees etc).

The reality is obviously more complex than that but to the average guy, it looks like he is getting screwed in Britland while in Hong Kong, the laws are keeping out the riff-raff.

Capisce ?

Okay, let us do it further. For a local HKers, who have live here for 100s of years. When they have foreigner spouse do they need to satisfy that HKD20k a month? Why is it different with local Brits in UK?

Okay, let us do it further. For a local HKers, who have live here for 100s of years. When they have foreigner spouse do they need to satisfy that HKD20k a month? Why is it different with local Brits in UK?
    I've read your post thrice and I cant figure out what you are asking....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast