Like Tree10Likes

Can we open sole proprietorship co having a GEP visa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I did ask my employer to sponsor me but he said I'm good to go with dependent visa as I'm on a part time and he would may not sponsor right now and that my husband can still stay until 2018 and look for another job.....I will not be getting PR before my husband he would be getting it first....I'm ok to start a co in my name but then in that case I need to employ my husband and submit a new application to immigration if I'm not wrong.....all that process would take arnd 4-6weeks I believe....and what's the guarantee the immigration would give him the visa...I mean its just all such a long process....I did read in some previous post a guy was able to open a sole proprietorship on his employment visa....I feel my husband opening a sole co would be easy way out to start working asap rather than looking for a sponsor or a new job as the dance market is not so good and no one would hire him for a full time post and sponsor...however we are trying our best on all the aspects

Quote Originally Posted by Niharika:
    I did ask my employer to sponsor me but he said I'm good to go with dependent visa as I'm on a part time and he would may not sponsor right now and that my husband can still stay until 2018 and look for another job.....I will not be getting PR before my husband he would be getting it first....I'm ok to start a co in my name but then in that case I need to employ my husband and submit a new application to immigration if I'm not wrong.....all that process would take arnd 4-6weeks I believe....and what's the guarantee the immigration would give him the visa...I mean its just all such a long process....I did read in some previous post a guy was able to open a sole proprietorship on his employment visa....I feel my husband opening a sole co would be easy way out to start working asap rather than looking for a sponsor or a new job as the dance market is not so good and no one would hire him for a full time post and sponsor...however we are trying our best on all the aspects
    As I say...I feel immi. might be sympathetic...why not book an interview and see if they'll let him open a sole proprietorship...worst they can say is no.

Original Post Deleted
    You would have no one applying for an general employment visa if this was the case.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes I believe a general employment visa restricts you to one employer only, no side work (or even volunteer work) is legal. There are some limited cases where you can apply to take on extra work but getting approval is relatively rare from what I understand.

They have a few options:

1. Find new sponsored employment
    2. Apply for PR (assuming they meet the requirements)
    3. Leave HK (I guess they could leave and re-enter on a tourist visa, but what would be the point unless they intend to keep looking for work)

jrkob likes this.

Sorry but I don't understand what term LP stands for?....and to repeat myself again I know my husband can not start a co if he is already employed by some other co.....He is not employed by any company right now,but have a valid visa to look for a job...
    We are not tourists trying to find a way out to live in HK.....we have been living in HK for almost 6yrs......when spoke to immigration they did tell us that we can reside until 2018 and look for a job.....I do have a secured job which will be a full time job next year....having said all of the above my husband is trying to find a sponsor....but in the meanwhile just thought would it be possible for him to open a sole proprietorship and be his own boss......we do not have to leave HK and re enter as a tourist as by Sep 2018 we will be applying for our PR as by then we are reaching our 7yrs of benchmark to be a PR....

Thnak you for all your advice and suggestions we shall be going to ImmD tomorrow again to ask all our queries and will keep u all posted about the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Niharika:
    Thnak you for all your advice and suggestions we shall be going to ImmD tomorrow again to ask all our queries and will keep u all posted about the same....
    Good luck and please do let us know what they say! I'm sure it's of interest to many people.

Unfortunately we lost our resident visa expert to mental illness a few years back...things really haven't been the same since.

If you are on a GEP Visa, you can be a Director of a Company, but cannot work for that Company. You can earn dividend for being a Director as that is legally allowed. So in your case, the answer would be- while your husband can establish a company in Hong Kong, he cannot work for that company (teach etc), till he gets his Visa transferred on to the Company's name, which is practically impossible due to the strict laws here.

But one option for your husband may be that, he can apply for a Visa under "Investment as Entrepreneurs" category, which basically is nothing but establishing a business in Hong Kong and working for the same. You would need a solid Business Plan mentioning you would be creating at least 2 local job opportunities for others in the coming 2 years or so and also a fairly good Capital Investment Fund to show the Immigration that you can sustain your business for the initial 1 to 2 years.

If you are planning on taking this option, your best bet would be contacting InvestHK for help in the same, as any referral from them goes a long way in the Visa Approval. All the best to your husband in whatever he chooses to do.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Not sure if this has been covered - how far are you or your husband from your PR?

Shri she said September 2018. I don't think he will be allowed to open a sole proprietorship until then, but let's see what immigration say! For now it seems he's better off finding another sponsor until you both get your PR.