Like Tree6Likes

Mainland wife to give birth in HK. What is my best option?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello all!

Here's my situation:

- just found out my wife is pregnant and we'd like to give birth in HK.
    - we live and work in Beijing.
    - I the husband (sponsor) am a dual citizen of HK and Canada
    - I hold a HKID (with 3 stars / permanent resident) and HK passport. Also have full Canadian citizenship (and CDN passport)

- my wife is citizen of mainland China, valid passport and "hukou" is registered in Beijing.
    - wife doesn't want to lose her Chinese citizenship and "hukou".
    - We were married in HK with a marriage certificate and with a notarized lawyer certificate from HK law firm.

There are mixed reviews in this forum regarding the "dependent visa" process.

I'd like to direct your attention to this thread and show that it was quite smooth for "AsianDad58" to get his dependent visa for his mainland Chinese wife.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/115/thread284370.html

Some say it's super easy, done in 2-3 weeks. Some are saying they're have so much trouble. I've also read that mainland residents are not even eligible to apply for this Dependent visa!

I'm a little unsure of how to proceed.
    So I have the following questions:

1.) Does the "Dependent visa" process require the mainland China resident to present a so-called "exit endorsement form" basically declaring that they "revoke" their Chinese citizenship in order to make this Dependent visa valid? If so, then why is this called a "visa"? Wouldn't this be considered to be the path to becoming an HK citizen?

2.) I've been suggested to try getting granted permission to stay under the "Quality Migrant Scheme". Apparently this way my wife won't have to give up her Chinese citizenship and Beijing "hukou". Is there anybody who's had experience with this?

3.) I've also been suggested that I try and get my wife a Canadian PR status first, and then use that in-turn to get a "dependent visa" or a RTL HKID. Apparently getting PR status in another country helps to get granted a "dependent visa" or RTL HKID? (Canadian PR status takes FOREVER to process... my wife will probably give birth before I get it).

Please help!
    Much much thanks!
    Last edited by KLM2308; 13-02-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KLM2308:
    I am facing this exact situation... here are my details in short:

- I the husband (sponsor) am a citizen of HK (3 stars on HKID and HK passport).
    - my wife is citizen of mainland China, valid passport and "hukou" is registered in Beijing.
    - wife doesn't want to lose her Chinese citizenship and "hukou".
    - We were married in HK with a marriage certificate and with a notarized lawyer certificate from HK law firm.
    - wife is pregnant and we'd like to give birth in HK.

I'm allowed to apply for this visa correct?
    Will they force my wife to give up Chinese citizenship in order to make this valid?
    Unless you got her Canadian PR as suggested in your previous thread, then you are SOL.

I think there is a special permit that allows the mainland wife of a HK PR husband to come here to give birth.

What about having your wife travel to Canada as a visitor and giving birth there?

Your child would have Canadian citizenship by birth in Canada. As the Chinese parent is "not settled" in Canada with a visitor visa, the baby would also have Chinese nationality. In this case, your baby may be able to choose either getting Hong Kong PR with from the dad so he gets the HKSAR passport as well), or Beijing hokou from the mom.

Last edited by kma88; 13-02-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Mainland Chinese wives of PR can't get a dependent visa, they will have to apply for a one way permit in China. Only wives of people holding a visa can. If you only want to have birth in HK I suggest contacting the immigration department and ask for advice. Shouldn't be too much of an issue, your child would be entitled to HKPR anyway. If they refuse, do not give birth in China. The kid will need a one way permit to be able to get HKPR. Maybe you could give birth in Canada?

You definitely have a win win situation for the kids future if you follow KMA88 advise if you have the Kid in Canada

I think she just needs to get a two-way permit for visiting Hong Kong and can then give birth here legally. The ban on mainland women only applies where both parents are mainlanders.

Sorry my ignorance, but why cant you give birth in your local hospital? Seems a bit excessive to fly 3+ hours to give birth.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Have you tried contacting the Hong Kong immigration, or the HKSAR Govt Office in Beijing (www.bjo.gov.hk) for recommendation on the proper visit permit?

You should also google 單非 (baby born to one HK PR and one non resident) in the Chinese media.

If Father is HKID holder then mother can give birth in HK. Will need to go private, no public hospitals though.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Mainland Chinese wives of PR can't get a dependent visa, they will have to apply for a one way permit in China. Only wives of people holding a visa can.
    Absolutely wrong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast