Like Tree7Likes

Renew work visa after 7th year?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mused:
    Sorry to hijack but it seems related. If you don't want to get the permanent residency after 7 years, can you just keep renewing the visa as normal and maybe get the PR at a future date? Reasons being PR may not be ideal for benefits in home countries.
    Sure why not, a Yank colleague of mine stayed and worked in HK for nearly 10 years, heck for the 1st 3-4 years he didnt even bother getting a HK ID card and he left back to the states without even apply for PR. I dont think it will be an issue if you apply later and still fulfill the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    that would be a risky move. the Government doesn't give notice and could change or withdraw PR rules tomorrow, or next week. if you want PR, you should try to secure PR at the earliest possible second.
    S/he is probably Chinese. Chinese people lose their hukou if they apply for PR, so they don't always think its worth it.

But as to the question, you can apply ANY TIME after the 7 years. You don't need to wait for the end of another work visa.

Great! Thanks everyone - will try as you did HK_Katherine - and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    S/he is probably Chinese. Chinese people lose their hukou if they apply for PR, so they don't always think its worth it.

But as to the question, you can apply ANY TIME after the 7 years. You don't need to wait for the end of another work visa.
    He is British The UK have this thing for student funding where you have to be in the UK for 3 years prior to commencing studying, otherwise you need to prove that you were away only on a temporary basis. I'm pretty sure getting PR would show that it wasn't temporary, so if I can delay the PR and get it at a later date it would be great. Although I have no idea how it would work as I'd have to come back to HK every 6 months? Hmm I still have some years to decide anyway.

He is British The UK have this thing for student funding where you have to be in the UK for 3 years prior to commencing studying, otherwise you need to prove that you were away only on a temporary basis. I'm pretty sure getting PR would show that it wasn't temporary, so if I can delay the PR and get it at a later date it would be great. Although I have no idea how it would work as I'd have to come back to HK every 6 months? Hmm I still have some years to decide anyway.
    Works both ways. If you did that then you would break up your continuous residing in Hong Kong. If you aren't paying taxes in Hong Kong for three years because you are studying in the UK you may find that you have already forfeited your right to PR.

I'd tread very carefully.

Edit - Although from reading your post again you would have finished the 7 years and have evidence to back this up. Just be careful if you leave to study before the 7 years is up.
    Last edited by Trebor; 22-02-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Edit - Although from reading your post again you would have finished the 7 years and have evidence to back this up. Just be careful if you leave to study before the 7 years is up.
    Right so theoretically if I've done the 7 years I could leave and then come back at a later time to get PR? Or would I have to continue to be resident after the 7 years? Not sure if you know just going over my options, thanks!

TBH I don't know, its probably worth checking with immigration department

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Right so theoretically if I've done the 7 years I could leave and then come back at a later time to get PR? Or would I have to continue to be resident after the 7 years? Not sure if you know just going over my options, thanks!
    From ImmD: "The continuous period of seven years ordinary residence must be immediately before the date when the person applies to the Director of Immigration for the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR... "

When you leave Hong Kong for a number of years, the 'clock' is reset to zero. You'd have to do another seven years to be eligible again. However, there are some circumstances that are considered a temporary leave from Hong Kong, i.e. medical treatment (yours, not a relative's), and studying (I believe that is usually tertiary education). These are not guarantees though so check with ImmD if you intend to leave Hong Kong without applying for PR - and get it in writing because another officer could see it differently if you apply for PR after time outside Hong Kong.
    mused likes this.