• 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By Scousebanana
  • 1 Post By shri

Collection of Work Visa and Obtaining a HKID card

Closed Thread
    tagore

Smile Collection of Work Visa and Obtaining a HKID card

Hi,

I am fortunate to get the approval for the work visa. Can I collect it myself with an EEEN reference number and a passport instead of waiting for the company?

From the immigration portal:
    "A visa/entry permit label will be issued upon successful application. It should be collected by the sponsor from the Immigration Department for onward transmission to the successful applicant."

Also can I obtain the HKID card by making an online booking so that the date falls after collecting the visa? How to shorten the process? thanks!

Damien

Last edited by tagore; 22-02-2017 at 05:32 PM.

I believe they state that as the sponsor is in HK and the applicant usually isn't.

Not sure if they will give it to you directly. Just ask your company to pick it up and pass it to you. Remember you have to activate it before you apply for your HKIC so will have to leave HK (Macau) and re-enter with the label affixed to your passport.

After that, you can directly apply for your HKIC, online or early morning walk-in.

tagore likes this.

Deleted my earlier response - thought you could apply for the HKID without activating.

tagore likes this.

tagore
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Deleted my earlier response - thought you could apply for the HKID without activating.
    Thank you. no worries. You guys are the pro.
    Can we meet in Hong Kong for coffee once I settle down?

You'll get a far more enthusiastic response if there is alcohol involved.

By the way, just noticed you signed up in 2008.

That is some high level planning that you've done for the last 9 years.

tagore likes this.

tagore
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You'll get a far more enthusiastic response if there is alcohol involved.

By the way, just noticed you signed up in 2008.

That is some high level planning that you've done for the last 9 years.
    Yes. I was working here. Alcohol can be arranged, not too much though.

I want to understand the opportunities in HK given the plight of the Taiwanese and S.Koreans now.
    Last edited by tagore; 23-02-2017 at 08:52 AM.

tagore

Silly question here, can I check if I can buy a single trip ticket and enter HK without collecting the work visa yet. Will I face any problem with immigration? thanks a lot.

Not at immigration (assuming you have a card or reference number from IMMD letting you know that your work visa has been approved - they can cross check that at the visitor counter and let you in).

The problem might be your airline not letting you board without an ID card / visa stamp on your passport - there is another thread somewhere in either the immigration forum or the travel forum which indicates that the airlines checks have become stricter.

tagore likes this.

Your sponsoring employer should collect your visa and send it to you at your current address (which I assume is not in HK). You can then activate your visa when you relocate and avoid any issues with the airline. If your employer regularly sponsors work visas, they should be pretty familiar with this approach.

shri, tagore and Fiona in HKG like this.

tagore

Its ok. I bought return tickets.