Like Tree11Likes

British or HK Passport? Eligibility?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British or HK Passport? Eligibility?

I am planning to change my passport this year as my current passport (Indian Passport) doesn't seem to cut it for my travelling and business needs. Little bit of background information, my family settled in HK since the early 80s and we have been here ever since. I was born before the handover in 1996 but my parents decided to not bother with british passport application and opt for the Indian Passport.

Fast forward, I am currently working for a MNC and would require frequent travels. Having an Indian passport doesn't give me the visa benefits so I have decided its time to either opt for a British or HK passport. From my understanding, I qualify for a HK passport and I should have no issues obtaining one. (Touchwood).

I am interested in the British Passport for personal reasons and would like to know if I am eligible to apply for it. I have looked through the website and all it says is I should have been an ordinary resident on 3 Feb 1997. I believe I qualify if its just ordinary resident but it seems a bit too simple? I would really appreciate if I could get some advice.

Note: I have never been to Britain but looking at my current career path, I might end up there in the near future. I am a permanent resident of HK (Born, Raised and Lived here for more than 20 years).

How would being born in HK before the hanfover makes you eligible for British citizenship?!!!

avengedsevenfold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    How would being born in HK before the hanfover makes you eligible for British citizenship?!!!
    Sorry if I am mistaken. I was under the impression that you qualified for a BNO if you were residing in HK during the handover. I was talking with a few friends who suggested I apply for a British passport so I am trying to gather as much information.
    shri likes this.

You'd only be qualified for a BNO passport if you applied for it BEFORE the handover.

avengedsevenfold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    Sorry if I am mistaken. I was under the impression that you qualified for a BNO if you were residing in HK during the handover. I was talking with a few friends who suggested I apply for a British passport so I am trying to gather as much information.
    If you hold British nationality, either as a British National Overseas (BN(O)), British Overseas Citizen (BOC), British Protected Person, British Subject or as a former British Dependent Territories Citizen of Hong Kong, you may qualify to register as a British citizen.

If you do not hold one of those, you're not qualified.

i am not sure if you qualify for HKSAR passport either, dude.

As for the HK SAR citizenship, I've heard it's quite complex if you're not of Chinese descent. A couple of ex colleagues were born and raised here (Indian & Filipino) were rejected. Another is gweilo and married to a HK citizen, lived here for 12 years but doesn't speak a single word in Cantonese had the same fate. Good luck.

You will have to apply for Chinese nationality before applying HKSAR passport if you were not born a Chinese national.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    You will have to apply for Chinese nationality before applying HKSAR passport if you were not born a Chinese national.
    Huh?!

You will have to naturalize as a Chinese citizen first. Apply for Naturalization, when/if accepted, you will have to surrender your Indian nationality/passport. Hand them your surrender certificate and naturalize as a Chinese citizen. Then apply for HKSAR Passport.

P.S. You will not be eligible for a British passport, as you would have had to have applied for BNO before handover.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast