Like Tree3Likes

HK Police Check for China

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    HK Police Check for China

    I am a teacher in Hong Kong moving to China in August. In order for my school to apply for a visa, I must have a Certificate of No Criminal Convictions. My problem is that I need a letter from a consulate, immigration authority or government authority in order to do this. China will NOT write the letter, and my UK Embassy will only supply the letter if it is for the purpose of applying in the UK.

    My US friends have gotten their letter from their US Embassy, but being a UK citizen I'm at a dead end. I have my school in China being as helpful as possible but if I don't find a solution soon I may not be able to move.

    Any UK citizens have any suggestions?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieflesher:
    my UK Embassy will only supply the letter if it is for the purpose of applying in the UK.
    Can't you just have them issue it for something in the UK (name any large school), but then use it for the school in China?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieflesher:
    I am a teacher in Hong Kong moving to China in August. In order for my school to apply for a visa, I must have a Certificate of No Criminal Convictions. My problem is that I need a letter from a consulate, immigration authority or government authority in order to do this. China will NOT write the letter, and my UK Embassy will only supply the letter if it is for the purpose of applying in the UK.

    My US friends have gotten their letter from their US Embassy, but being a UK citizen I'm at a dead end. I have my school in China being as helpful as possible but if I don't find a solution soon I may not be able to move.

    Any UK citizens have any suggestions?
    have you tried the hong kong police?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,301

    [QUOTE=ellieflesher;3491529]I am a teacher in Hong Kong moving to China in August. In order for my school to apply for a visa, I must have a Certificate of No Criminal Convictions. My problem is that I need a letter from a consulate, immigration authority or government authority in order to do this. /QUOTE]

    Err u mean this as you are already in HK working I assume so you can get this for HK.

    Certificate of No Criminal Conviction | Hong Kong Police Force


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,645

    maybe it is too early I don't understand, the OP is living in Hong Kong and in Hong Kong HKP will for a fee provide a certificate of no conviction, that is not good enough?

    Certificate of No Criminal Conviction | Hong Kong Police Force


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    have you tried the hong kong police?
    Yes. The HK Police are well aware that this is an issue for UK Citizens. A lady on the phone told me that often UK citizens end up not being able to apply for the VISA because China will just not issue the letter.

    Very frustrating.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Can't you just have them issue it for something in the UK (name any large school), but then use it for the school in China?
    I have been told that the UK Embassy may want to send the certificate directly to the authority that is requesting it. Therefore, I can't ask them to send it to China Immigration.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,301
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieflesher:
    I have been told that the UK Embassy may want to send the certificate directly to the authority that is requesting it. Therefore, I can't ask them to send it to China Immigration.
    Very confusing. Ok lets break it down like this so hopefully we all understand

    1. You're working in HK as a Teacher
    2. You're British citizen
    3. You have found a new job in China as a teacher
    4. The China School needs to apply a working visa for you
    5. The China Immigration dept needs a certificate of No Criminal Conviction
    If the above is wrong please correct it

    Why is the UK Embassy involved?? It is a dealing between the China school/China Immigration/YOU???
    JAherbert likes this.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Very confusing. Ok lets break it down like this so hopefully we all understand

    1. You're working in HK as a Teacher
    2. You're British citizen
    3. You have found a new job in China as a teacher
    4. The China School needs to apply a working visa for you
    5. The China Immigration dept needs a certificate of No Criminal Conviction
    If the above is wrong please correct it

    Why is the UK Embassy involved?? It is a dealing between the China school/China Immigration/YOU???
    The above is correct. The Chinese Embassy need the certificate and according to the HK Police, it is the Chinese Embassy that needs to write a letter requesting the certificate. Makes sense.

    However, China refuses to write the letter, saying it is not their job to write the letter and therefore, the HK Police (who are well of how difficult China can be in this circumstance) suggested I ask my UK embassy since the US embassy have previously done this for US citizens.

    I refuse to believe that I am the first British person to have moved from Hong Kong to China, so someone must have come across this problem before.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,282

    Get the PSB do write the letter for you. I had a PCC done in HK a few years back for China. The Shenzhen Entry&Exit bureau wrote up the request for me to bring to the HK police and they sent the PCC directly to Shenzhen. It's not the embassy who writes the request, but the PSB where you are applying for your visa.

    chuckster007 and atik149 like this.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast