Like Tree8Likes

Can parents (non-HK Perm Residents) stay in HK because dependent baby is HK citizen?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by dentarthurdent:
    When you say "ethnic Chinese" in this context, does it mean "Han Chinese" or would, for example, "Tibetan Chinese" be acceptable?

(Or, for that matter, "Russian", since that is also one of the 56 officially recognised etnicities in China)
    when i say ethnic chinese, im refering to the overseas chinese communities who are usually from guangdong, or fujian. they can be found in south africa, the americas, australia, nz, and most importantly southeast asia. many of them in southeast asia dont even have chinese names anymore. overseas chinese communities in guyana usually dont speak chinese, but have chinese names. most of them have never set foot in china, but according to hk rules, they can have kids in hk, and they'd become chinese citizens. chinese have been in malaysia for 600yrs. most of those folks dont have any connections to china. these chinese malaysians are less connected to china than british americans are to britain. most white americans have only been in america for 200yrs, and half of them dont even know where they originated from, let alone go back to their country of origin to have kids and claim citizenship.

im not saying that people with distant links to china shouldnt get chinese citizenship, but if the authorities are trying to keep foreign influenced overseas chinese out by slapping them with article 5, then it seems that overseas chinese having kids in hk getting chinese citizenship and hk pr counteracts their goals.

these hk born kids can go back to malaysia, or indonesia after their birth, where all of their relatives are, and be as foreign as anyone else, yet hold chinese citizenship.

another thing that is weird is how hk born emigrants can give rtl to their kids born overseas, whereas mainland born hongers cannot. as far as i can see, a cbc born to hk born emigrants will be as westernized as cbc's with mainland born parents. if anything, the cbc with hk born parents are likely to be more westernized than the cbc with mainland born parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGIK:
    when i say ethnic chinese, im refering to the overseas chinese communities who are usually from guangdong, or fujian. they can be found in south africa, the americas, australia, nz, and most importantly southeast asia.

according to hk rules, they can have kids in hk, and they'd become chinese citizens.
    I'd like to point out that for the purpose of birth in HK, the definition is more expansive than this.

[QUOTE=MAGIK;3516970]chinese have been in malaysia for 600yrs.

Not sure that this is accurate. Wikipedia states that the first wave occured in the 15th century, or 1600s. We're in the early 21st century now, despite having a Western date of 20XX. So 400ish years at the most.

The second wave then didn't occur until the 1900s.

most of those folks dont have any connections to china. these chinese malaysians are less connected to china than british americans are to britain. most white americans have only been in america for 200yrs, and half of them dont even know where they originated from, let alone go back to their country of origin to have kids and claim citizenship.
    I think Malaysia is one of the countries that will state a person's ethnicity as Chinese somehow on official government issued documents. This generally provides a valid way of stating that a person has Chinese forebearers without requiring documentation to show an unbroken chain to the ancestor with actual Chinese nationality.

im not saying that people with distant links to china shouldnt get chinese citizenship, but if the authorities are trying to keep foreign influenced overseas chinese out by slapping them with article 5, then it seems that overseas chinese having kids in hk getting chinese citizenship and hk pr counteracts their goals.

these hk born kids can go back to malaysia, or indonesia after their birth, where all of their relatives are, and be as foreign as anyone else, yet hold chinese citizenship.
    I've read about this claim about the CCP trying to keep foreign born chinese out of HK via article 5 on this forum before. However, I've never even seen a news source make this claim, let alone an authoritative one.

It seems to me that if this were true, the very last thing you'd want to do is to establish a new visa scheme for exactly this group of individuals to allow them to immigrate back to HK. Oh, wait....

My best guess at current is that article 5 was just an oversight. Too many other hectic things were happening, so there was not enough attention paid to article 5 or its consequences at the time. It also affected a relatively small group of individuals.

another thing that is weird is how hk born emigrants can give rtl to their kids born overseas, whereas mainland born hongers cannot.
    Actually, this is no longer true. Hairball's guide to ROA explains this pretty well - if you are born post-handover, neither type of parent can pass on RTL. That was just a transitional measure. (Also, certain groups of mainland born hongers could pass RTL on to overseas born children pre-handover - but this is fairly complicated. Hairball's guide explains this as well.)

as far as i can see, a cbc born to hk born emigrants will be as westernized as cbc's with mainland born parents. if anything, the cbc with hk born parents are likely to be more westernized than the cbc with mainland born parents.
    As a generalization, this kind of makes sense. But I feel it's probably too big a generalization - there probably are individual cbc's with mainland born parents who are heavily assimilated to the point of not knowing a thing about chinese culture or language and individual cbc's with hk born parents who cling tightly to the culture of their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    chinese have been in malaysia for 600yrs.
    Not sure that this is accurate. Wikipedia states that the first wave occured in the 15th century, or 1600s. We're in the early 21st century now, despite having a Western date of 20XX. So 400ish years at the most.
    Eh? The 21st Century is 600 years after the 15th Century in my numbering system!

Quote Originally Posted by dentarthurdent:
    Eh? The 21st Century is 600 years after the 15th Century in my numbering system!
    Oops, you're right. 15th century is 1400s not 1600s. That being the case, Wikipedia seems to be ambiguous on whether it's the 15th century or the 1600s - so I'll assume MAGIK is right and 600 years is the correct number.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4