Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes

Help Please

Hi Maryam-12,

Hope you are well. I am sorry to pry a little here, but from what you typed I get the sense your parents are not too keen on you moving to HK or perhaps even unaware of your plans. I also sense a slight air of desperation in what you typed but I am probably all wrong and being a nosey old idiot.

Hong Kong is a great city, but like every great city, it also has a darker side. It is also an extremely expensive part of the world to live and you will need to find a job that pays a decent salary or you will end up living in some less than post-card picturesque areas in an apartment smaller than your current bathroom.

Perhaps you have it all planned out, perhaps you can speak and read Cantonese, have a job lined up, a place to live, perhaps support from friends and family and lots of money to burn. But on the off chance you do not have all those matters sorted out, I would seriously plan them all out before you even check plane ticket prices.

Anyway, sorry to pry and perhaps this seems like (pissing on your fire and back-seat parenting) but yes you're an adult, but a young adult. I am close to 40 years old but I am still learning everyday.

Sorry to sound a bit negative, but I wish you all the best.

Oh yes sorry, I mis-read Maryam's original post! A birth certificate saying "established" should be sufficient to prove you were born with Right of Abode, and therefore have Right of Abode / Right to Land now.

Maryam-12 likes this.

KadinKai
    Thank you for your concern. Its really sweet that you are telling me about the negative things of hongkong. But i went to hongkong few years ago and i really loved it there, which is why i am wanting to move back again.

If things go fine i will stay there and if not i can always move back and live with my mom and dad.

My parents do know that I am willing to settle in hong kong. But like every parent thy dont want me to they think i am still young. I have everything planned out, and i will surely manage.

The only thing that i was desperate to find out about was whether or not i needed any of my family documents for my hongkong id. I dont want my id to become an issue for me when i am there.

I asked my parents they said they were not sure. I contact immigration department thy did get back to me but i still wanted more answers so i found this website and everyone helped me.

If when im in hongkong and they ask me for my parents documents i can gt it sent over to me but hopefully with the advice given i will be fine.

Hey Maryam-12,

Ah you have your head screwed on much better than I did when I was 18 years old (perhaps even now).

Good that your folks know about your move, so I am sure you will get support.

Yes plan everything. I have been here since November last year, there has been a handful of challenges.

Just to do a bit more back-seat parenting (sorry)...

Get your folks to add your name to the utility bills and bring a few with your name on they were helpful when I set up a bank account.

Also download ex.com app on your phone to keep on top of exchange rates!

Might be worth scanning your passport, birth certificate, education certificates and etc so you have an electronic copy and upload to your cloud.

In that case, I will stop being a backseat parent and wish you safe travels and good luck.

Kadin

Maryam-12 likes this.

Thanks for your help. Thats really much appreciated

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234