Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

Born in Hong Kong but moved to the UK- can i get a hkid?

Closed Thread

Born in Hong Kong but moved to the UK- can i get a hkid?

Hi there,

I'm asking on behalf of a friend. He was born in Hong Kong (in 1980) but moved to the UK a couple months later. His parents don't have an HKID either.

Does anyone know if he is eligible for an HKID?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Nope

shri likes this.

In certain circumstances he would be eligible. The most common being if he was born in HKG and is of Chinese descent. I have cousins who have obtained id in this way.

Also if one of his parents had right of abode in HKG at the time of his birth and he is still under 21.

Obviously anyone who moves to Hong Kong to live and work for more than 6 months not only qualifies for HKID, but is obliged to obtain one.

I think before 1983 HK had jus soli, ie anyone born here was automatically a BDTC citizen, thus would have RoA up to the handover, if the person was not Chinese.

So what were your friend and his parents' immigration status in HK back in 1980?

Yes, kma88 is right - virtually anyone born in HK before 1983 became a British Dependent Territories Citizen, and would have either Right of Abode or Right to Land now.

There are a few very unusual exceptions: e.g. the father was a diplomat (with consular immunity) or an invading Japanese solider, or the person renounced British Dependent Territories Citizenship.