Like Tree13Likes

Canada Naturalisation : How?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Canada Naturalisation : How?

Cant find anything online, so lets see if the collective wisdom here can help.

I'm a Canadian citizen. My kids (made in Hong Kong) are Canadian citizens by descent.

If/when they have kids, they must give birth in Canada otherwise their kids cannot become Canadians.

------------------------

Now that my kids are slowly off to university in Canada, I'm trying to find out if there is anything they can do to make themselves "whole". Can they do something to "naturalize" themselves (while residing in Canada) so they can give birth anywhere and pass on the Canadian citizenship?

If yes, what is this process called? Any forms to fill?

I'm pretty sure there is no such process. Would be glad to be proven wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'm pretty sure there is no such process. Would be glad to be proven wrong though.
    That would be odd since

new immigrants & refugees can come reside for some time and get "naturalized" and then move away and give birth to Canadians.

My daughter is a Canadian who lacks that ability today. There should be a way for her to go, reside for some time, get "naturalized" and then move away (if she chooses to) and give birth to Canadians.

I'm using the word "naturalized" since I dont know what the right term is for this.....

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    That would be odd since

new immigrants & refugees can come reside for some time and get "naturalized" and then move away and give birth to Canadians.

My daughter is a Canadian who lacks that ability today. There should be a way for her to go, reside for some time, get "naturalized" and then move away (if she chooses to) and give birth to Canadians.

I'm using the word "naturalized" since I dont know what the right term is for this.....
    Really don't think there is anything to it.

You can become a Canadian citizen through naturalization. But she already is a citizen. I really don't think Canada has a star system such as HK or anything similar. Or do we really? Is a Canadian born overseas a less of a Canadian than Joe Canuck born in Medicine Hat?

Quick look at Canada's Citizenship website doesn't give any answers.

The difference stems from whether citizenship was granted by birth, conferral or descent.

If by birth or conferral, then your kids can get Canadian citizenship regardless of where they are born. These kids in turn though would only be granted citizenship by descent, like your kids, and their children would need to be born in Canada to be granted citizenship.

They give you one "free pass" before the next generation needs to be born in Canada.

I guess the view they take, and they are not the only ones, is that you should be residing in the country in order to get the citizenship. Otherwise you get the benefit of being a citizen, without giving anything back to the country.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    I guess the view they take, and they are not the only ones, is that you should be residing in the country in order to get the citizenship. Otherwise you get the benefit of being a citizen, without giving anything back to the country.
    And thats a perfectly valid view; I agree with it.

The issue is that my kids are not "whole" right now. They lack a part that other birth-Canadians and conferral-Canadians have. I was hoping that by residing in Canada for xxxx years, they could get upgraded

It would not make much sense if this was impossible to do.....
    Like I said, Canada lets refugees in, reside for 3 (or is it 5) years and they get to have a specific benefit.
    My Canadian kids should have the a path to get the same benefit.
    Char Siu King likes this.

Yes, they're not the only ones. Germany has something similar now. The only way to pass on citizenship for your kids if their kids are born overseas is the scenario of them being rendered stateless.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    And thats a perfectly valid view; I agree with it.

The issue is that my kids are not "whole" right now. They lack a part that other birth-Canadians and conferral-Canadians have. I was hoping that by residing in Canada for xxxx years, they could get upgraded

It would not make much sense if this was impossible to do.....
    Like I said, Canada lets refugees in, reside for 3 (or is it 5) years and they get to have a specific benefit.
    My Canadian kids should have the a path to get the same benefit.
    You can challenge it in court. There may be a case already.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    You can challenge it in court. There may be a case already.
    I'll definitely look into it when I get there later this year. It just feels wrong not to be able to do this somehow.
    Whether its money, time, some process, forms etc - it should be doable.

Do you know any good forums for Canadian immigration, where a lawyer or 2 hang out?

BTW: UK is the same AFAIK - but since the kids are not going to reside in the UK anytime soon, not gonna worry about that bit....But they are all going to reside in Canada for a period of time.

Learn something new every day. I guess your grandchildren need to be born in Canada then.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast