Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By historian
  • 1 Post By Bob Loblaw

Does dependent visa renewal take 2-3 weeks or a few hours?

Closed Thread

Does dependent visa renewal take 2-3 weeks or a few hours?

I found this thread from last year where people were discussing their dependent visa renewals: https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread338296.html

One person said: "So I got into town and they accepted my passport and HKID card and told me to come back in 3 hours. Long story short after a little bit of running around and paying my fee they renewed it for 3 years."

Another person said: "I am from Southeast Asia, but I just need less than 1 hour from time to hand on apply my document to the time I received my new visa (3 years more)."

However, on the official website, under processing time I see:
    Extension of Stay | Immigration Department
    "Routine applications will normally be finalised within two to three weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents."

Does anyone know how it typically works? I'm out of Hong Kong right now, and planning a trip back specifically to renew my dependent visa, and I'm trying to figure out how much time I need to be there.

Assuming that you have all your documents and that there is nothing unusual, about your case, you should get it the same day. You also might want to bring your sponsor with you just in case Immigration has any questions. Make sure you bring some money so you can pay for it.

chopin likes this.

i had my employment (not dependent) visa renewed this past winter. my employer had told me that it would take 2 weeks, that i should be in HK during that time, and could i please cancel my vacation plans? apparently they had seen information somewhere about it taking that long.

took me 2-3 hours.

chopin likes this.