Dependent Visa for PRC Wife

Closed Thread

Dependent Visa for PRC Wife

Hi, my wife and I recently got married and I am going to begin the application for her dependent visa. I am an American passport holder on a employment visa. I have actually been here for over 7 years and can apply for permanent resident but have not yet. My wife is a PRC passport holder and we are trying to have a baby.

From my understanding, it is better for her to come in on a dependent visa as HK immd will decide on her visa status, otherwise she will have to apply for one-way entry permit which is decided by the PRC (current wait time of 4-5 years?).

So here are my questions:

1. Since I am applying for her dependent visa in HK, will she still need to apply for a permit from China (if yes, which?)?
    2. Once she gets a dependent visa, will she be able to work in HK (I don't need her to but only if she wants to do something during the day instead of staying at home)?
    3. If we decide to have a baby, will she still need to show proof of hospital reservation for baby delivery (i've heard from friends that immd will ask for proof of hospital booking for PRC passport holders).

Thanks

1. Don't know
    2. Yes
    3. No - once she has a Dependent Visa (and HKID card) she is entitled to use the public system here just like any other HK Resident.

4. DO NOT apply for Permanent Residence. That changes everything - this is the one situation where applying for PR is very clearly a Bad Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick923:
    Hi, my wife and I recently got married and I am going to begin the application for her dependent visa. I am an American passport holder on a employment visa. I have actually been here for over 7 years and can apply for permanent resident but have not yet. My wife is a PRC passport holder and we are trying to have a baby.

From my understanding, it is better for her to come in on a dependent visa as HK immd will decide on her visa status, otherwise she will have to apply for one-way entry permit which is decided by the PRC (current wait time of 4-5 years?).

So here are my questions:

1. Since I am applying for her dependent visa in HK, will she still need to apply for a permit from China (if yes, which?)?
    2. Once she gets a dependent visa, will she be able to work in HK (I don't need her to but only if she wants to do something during the day instead of staying at home)?
    3. If we decide to have a baby, will she still need to show proof of hospital reservation for baby delivery (i've heard from friends that immd will ask for proof of hospital booking for PRC passport holders).

Thanks
    1) http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID(E)998.pdf

Page 4 Point 11. Need to apply permit in mainland PSB.

Depends if she lives in Mainland. If she already lives in HK or overseas, she should be able to apply for dependent visa directly with HK immigration department. However if she is in Mainland, she would have to apply for a travel permit from the Mainland authority first, which allows her to exit China for HK.