dependent visa for US citizen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dependent visa for US citizen

Hi,

I am HK permanent resident and also a US citizen, with my wife and three kids (all US citizens, kids born in US) living in USA, now my wife want to get HK permanent resident for her and kids because she want to have more option for kids in the future, but we are planning to visit HK during summer only for the next 7 years, so the chance of getting the HK PRID is very low after reading some posts in this forum.

Anywhere I already applied dependent visa for them and got approval letter on Sept. 1st 2017, I called HK immigration and they said I have max. 3 months to collect the visa, question is does the visa activated right after collection (i.e Sept 20 2017) or at the time my family use it during the next visit to HK, i.e. this Nov 17 2017 ?
    And when will be one year renewal due? Sept 2018 or Nov 2018 ?

Thanks.
    David

Activated upon entry. If you are all traveling together to collect the visa then they will first need to enter as visitors. Once the visa stamp is received they will need to exit and re-enter HKG (most people go to Macau for this). The visa renewal date is based on activation. Usually renewal is on a 1, 3,3 year cycle.

You have to activate the visa by leaving and re-entering Hong Kong otherwise you're not a legal resident (no HKID, no healthcare, etc.). This can be done within a day by either going to Shenzhen, which requires a China visa, or Macau.

thanks ddubya, civil_servant.
    Can I keep renewing the dependent visa after 7 years? in case they can't get PR HKID, my parents and sibling are still in HK, so we are visiting HK pretty often, but just not "settle" in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by davidchantf:
    thanks ddubya, civil_servant.
    Can I keep renewing the dependent visa after 7 years? in case they can't get PR HKID, my parents and sibling are still in HK, so we are visiting HK pretty often, but just not "settle" in HK.
    You can keep renewing the dependent visa as long as you need. At the end of 7 years, you can try apply for PR, if not granted keep renewing the dependents visa...

thanks Shafiq.

what's the chance of getting PR HKID when visiting HK less than a month per year for 7 years ?
    I checked HK gov site about the permanent resident test, it looks my familing will not meet the conditions, but want to heard someone else's experience.

what's the chance of getting PR HKID when visiting HK less than a month per year for 7 years ?
    NO CHANCE!!!!

Any benefit getting the dependent visa and HKID ?

Otherwise I will just tell my wife that it is not worth to get the HKID without permanent resident status, the US passport already good for visiting HK.

Any benefit getting the dependent visa and HKID ?

Otherwise I will just tell my wife that it is not worth to get the HKID without permanent resident status, the US passport already good for visiting HK.
    Medical facilities cheaper as a resident than as a visitor, use automated lanes at border crossings,.etc..

Benefits are:

Affordable public healthcare in HK. But if you're properly insured in the US then doesn't matter.

Potential consideration for public housing in HK depending upon your financial situation. Unlikely for your situation, but it is a benefit of HK PR.

Small chance of a handout but last time was hk$6000 per resident. About US$750.

If wife obtains PR in HK then she will always have the right to work and live in HK irrespective of you. Under dependent visa, your wife's right to live and work in HK is conditional that your marriage is real and ongoing.

The normal rule of thumb is that your wife must not leave HK for periods of greater than 6 months. So you're looking at 2-3 visits per year minimum to HK. Plus you'll have to declare that HK is your home--when it isn't. I think it's more relaxed for dependent visa holders however. Any absence from hk greater than 6 months needs to be explained--Some people have had luck with it such as studying abroad but it's important to establish that hk is your permanent home. So you'll have to fudge some things there.

You're wife is always entitled to dependent visa as long as you two are married so it isn't a problem at all. You can move to HK later if you wanted too -- but hk may be less desirable in the future with current trends.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast