Like Tree22Likes

Resident for 7 Years - How to Get Permanent Residency

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    You can go to IRD and ask them to print off your tax receipts for the 7 years, this is what i did, i didnt bother with rental receipts or lease agreement etc. My application is pending, hopefully will have an answer in a couple of weeks.
    Did you also leave HK for a while during that 7 years period?

Let us know how does the applications go and good luck with that.

Hi.

Yes, you are right. Was studying in hk from 2014-2018. Though I actually believe study period also counts within 7 years, even I don’t pay taxes and MPF.

Many of my foreigner friends who stayed here for 3 years after studying here successfully applied for permanent residency and got it.

Immigraton websites also says that student visa is counted.

For the rest, I hope that is right. Though immigration website does not mention anything about 6 month period.

Hi, if student visa could count, then just try to apply by 2021, see how it goes..else, perhaps by 2025. As to the 6-months rule, it's always been in effect, and it's official per immig dept..cheers.

ierand likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ierand:
    Hi.

Yes, you are right. Was studying in hk from 2014-2018. Though I actually believe study period also counts within 7 years, even I don’t pay taxes and MPF.

Many of my foreigner friends who stayed here for 3 years after studying here successfully applied for permanent residency and got it.

Immigraton websites also says that student visa is counted.

For the rest, I hope that is right. Though immigration website does not mention anything about 6 month period.
    Student Visa is counted towards PR.

Absence from HK for 6 months is for people who had a break in visa, due to unavoidable circumstances like health or education. Its mentioned in the application form, not anywhere on website.
    https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/rop145.html
    ierand likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Student Visa is counted towards PR.

Absence from HK for 6 months is for people who had a break in visa, due to unavoidable circumstances like health or education. Its mentioned in the application form, not anywhere on website.
    https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/rop145.html
    Right, can see now. Thanks!

Did you also leave HK for a while during that 7 years period?

Let us know how does the applications go and good luck with that.
    No But i was offering an alternative to rental receipts etc. You said you have paid tax each year so should be an option

Decided to call Immigration Department, see what they say.

The lady said it will not count towards PR the time you work overseas even though the contract is with HK office. She was basically saying "you have to live in Hong Kong". Though she did not clarify what she means by "live".

The lady said it will not count towards PR the time you work overseas even though the contract is with HK office. She was basically saying "you have to live in Hong Kong". Though she did not clarify what she means by "live".

Immd will not comment on individual cases; you need to make your application to see their decision on your case. Secondment to overseas by HK Company employment is one of exceptions of temporary absence where you're still considered an ordinary resident of HK. They need to see if you qualify as such ( paid salary here, oaid taxes and upkept your MPF contributions and employment thoughout with the same HK COMPANY.

Many cases here who have been successful in getting their PHKID. I am also in same situation and have just applied recently.
    Elegiaque, shri and ierand like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAINDEAR:

- copy of tax returns for 7 years, from your start of employment (2018) to 2025.
    - copy of employment contract (from each company you worked for in HK w/in 7 yrs)
    The "copy of tax returns from start of employment" worries me. I started employment in Nov2017 but I haven't received a tax return copy since living here in HK as said date. I haven't filled out a tax form yet ...pretty unsure how that will work..Will the ird just send the individual tax form via post?

It all depends on individual circumstances. Usually it will count if you still have HK as your home, eg. you are getting paid here, pay taxes, your spouse and/or kids are still living here, you still got a flat, you come over on weekends to visit your family etc. You also should keep your visa even while being seconded overseas.