Like Tree22Likes

Resident for 7 Years - How to Get Permanent Residency

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Resident for 7 Years - How to Get Permanent Residency

Hi
    I am holding oridinary HKID and employment visa since year 2010 and completed my 7 years already in HK, in starting i was living in China for company work purpose and had no house in HK but i keep cross border twice a month sometime once in 2 month so never been out of HK for 6 or more than 6 months.

I am also paying tax in hk since year 2011 and MPF since 2010 and have all receipts with me under my name but on office address as in starting i had no house in HK.

Then from year 2014 i rented house in HK and living here most of the time since year 2014 upto now.

can i apply for permanent HKID in Hongkong ? as in total i have completed my 7 years since the ordinary hkid was issued.

any suggestions ?

Give it a try?

They will either say yes, here is a your HKPR or no please apply again in 2021.

Peterwa and answerer like this.

I would go an apply. No harm in trying. I think you will get it.

Peterwa likes this.

The main thing is you need to prove that you were resident in HK for those 7 years.

I.e. you had a physical address in HK which you were living in that time.

my emloyment visa is still valid till july 2018 so i can keep it and apply permanent hkid by next year around march 2018 so that there will be more duration of stay in my record.

When you said you started paying tax from 2011, do you mean you started paying tax for the tax year 2010/2011 or tax year 2011/2012? This will make huge difference.

If you can show the continuous tax assessment receipts from the past 7 years (in your case, from Tax Year 2010/2011 onwards), you should be able to apply for "Verification of eligibility of HK Permanent Identity Card". That's what I just did.

Required documents:
    - Application Form
    - If you are of foreign nationality, you also need to fill another form to declare that HK has been your ordinary residence for the past 7 years.
    - Tax receipts
    - Letter from the employer to prove that you are still employed
    - Current HK address proof

As you did not live in HK for the initial 6 months, you need to disclose this in the application form. However if you could prove that you were sent by your HK employer to work in China for work reasons; and your salary and tax were continuously paid in HK, you should be fine. I have a friend who was absent for 2 years (living and working in the US, but with half salary paid in HK and maintained valid HK work visa and paid HK tax), he still got his HKPID without any issue.

shri and Peterwa like this.

When you first apply for your PR they only only ask you to fill in 2 Forms and submit your HKID copy along with Passport copy (all of it can be done online). They will then come back with a yes or ask for further documents.

Yes you do not need to furnish any other documents while applying and it can be approved without providing any other documents.

Just go ahead and apply and then worry about things when they respond, at worst they will refuse you or maybe ask for no documents and approve you.

Roekie likes this.

Hi All,

thank you for all valuable comments just to add an update

i have applied for eligibility for the right of abode in HK in April month this year
    documents submitted with application form:-
    COPY OF PASSPORT AND HKID
    COPY OF INLAND REVENUE DEPARTMENT RECEIPT OF 7 YEARS
    COPY OF EMPLOYMENT LETTER

and within 10days time
    i had letter by post from immigration department to present my original HKID and passport after around 2 weeks for verification

and after presenting
    my original HKID and passport on said date my eligibility for the right of abode in HK was verified / approved on same day and have applied for permanent HKID in walk in quota and got temporary permanent paper HKID(as a receipt for temporary use) same day with instructions on that paper to collect PERMANENT HKID CARD after 15days

and after 15 days submitted paper card and have got my permanent HKID card.

bdw, vmlinuz, hktraveller and 2 others like this.

Hi @Peterwa

I am in exactly same situation as you. Working for a hk company since 2012. First 2.5 years were based in China with occasional visits back to hong kong. Not every month but enough to answer question "..been out of Hongkong for a continuous period of 6 Months?"" No" on application form.

Received salary in HK and paid taxes each of these 7 years. Still with same company and will be completing 7 years come January '19.

Any suggestions if my PHKID would go through?

Did you have a Hong Kong employment visa and ID card during the first 2.5 years while you were working in mainland? If yes, then the process should be straightforward (except maybe if you hold a PRC passport; am not sure of current requirements).

If you had mainland work/ resident permits and no HKID for the first 2.5 years, then I'm afraid you still have another 2.5 years before you can apply for PR here.

Fei88 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast