Like Tree16Likes

NEED ADVICE: Chances of getting work visa is low

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It depends how long the company in HK has been established and how many employees it has currently, but the salary is likely to raise some questions at Immigration.

15k HKD is entry level salary for a college graduate. If you have a few years experience, this salary would not be commensurate with experience level. If you don't have a few years experience, the visa isn't likely to be approved.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    Not to mention that HK$15,000 will not get you far in HK. This is an entry level salary which usually relies on the individual being able to live at home with their family. Unless you have someone who you can live with very cheaply, you will not have a good quality of life at this level.

Just to give you some benchmark, the lowest paid person in my team earns HK$16,500 per month plus benefits such as private healthcare and up to three months bonus. This is for a junior secretary position. Admittedly we are a big MNC and therefore probably pay higher than average salary, but HK$15k for what sounds like a relatively skilled role sounds like someone trying to take advantage of someone who is from a low salary economy.

I suggest you explain to them that having looked into the cost of living and market rates, this salary is not enough for someone based in HK and either negotiate a rise or investigate whether it would be possible to do this role remotely from the Philippines where HK$15k would stretch much further.
    15k or 16.5k per month both seem very low. I do recognize local companies pay very little but this seems absurdly low, particularly for someone who is an expat. I work in financial services for a mnc and we are paying even the most entry level hire at least 25k per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus:
    15k or 16.5k per month both seem very low. I do recognize local companies pay very little but this seems absurdly low, particularly for someone who is an expat. I work in financial services for a mnc and we are paying even the most entry level hire at least 25k per month.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/hong-kong/wages

The company has been around for 15 years and has 50+ employees.

I have over 4 years of relevant experience in the field but I wasn't sure if that's enough to get me > HK$20. Well, I actually tried to negotiate for a much higher salary but it wasn't a success.

well. based on my experiences (in getting visa for other expats), the salary is too low. The ID will reject your application on the basis that your monthly salary is not high enough to support your local spending here.

JAherbert and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus:
    As I said, 16.5k is the LOWEST salary in our team for a junior secretary, which as OP has pointed out is higher than the HK average. We aren't FS, so won't pay as much as you, but the entry salary that we pay our professionals (degree plus CPA, entering with 3 to 4 years post graduate experience) is obviously considerably higher.

We are a local company albeit run by international people and we pay more than that to interns. immigration will struggle with that salary and being Filipino is another barrier. Add a housing allowance might get them over the barrier. Also be prepared to show detailed info on your quals and experience to show why no local can do the job.

I think the question is not whether you will get a visa, but whether you really want to move to HK for that kind of money. Whilst it may seem like a lot by international standards, it really does not go far in HK. I would consider if the quality of life you can get on that money is worth it.

JAherbert likes this.

You could

ask them for more salary, as this amount would not pass immigration requirements 18k was fine for me before (I has it in the past, maybe requirements have gone up now). 20k is generally considered the acceptable for immd.

Ask them if you can do the job remotely from Philippines. To be honest, I feel your chances of getting work visa approval are VERY low (sorry).
    They'll need to prove that they couldn't find a local to do this job. This is tricky. Something like English teaching is easier if you have it as your native language and possess something local people do not. However for your job I'm not sure.

Better if you look for another job as I don't think your Visa has a chance to be approved unless they seriously raise the salary. The reason why they look at the salary is simple, hard to get skills are more expensive, which justify the hiring. Anyway check if you can do remote work instead and work as a consultant. 15K in the Phil should get you covered pretty good.