Simple PR Question?

Closed Thread

Question Simple PR Question?

Hoping this is an easy one for those who have been through it.

Continuously employed for 7 years, no breaks, no gaps. Just 7 years straight. Held HKID for 7 years. Work Visa given as 1 Year - 2 Year - 2 Year - 2 Year. Now we are approaching the last day of the 7th year in a month.

So 2 choices, or not?

1. Get the work visa renewed again for 2 years. Then once done apply for PR.
    2. Not get the work visa renewed but then do what and how? I've read you cannot apply for PR until you have hit exactly 7 years to the day. So if I waited until 7 years to the day, the work visa would then be invalid as I would not have got it renewed.

Any thoughts? I am guessing most have the same situation. Or I may guess wrong.

Any feedback?

Oh and just to make it a little complicated. Work visa last day on the 17th, but go on holiday on the 18th one day later for a couple of weeks. Making the idea of not renewing the work visa, doing the PR application on the last day and then leaving the country and coming back on a tourist visa whilst waiting for the PR to process not something I relish.

Called Immigration. Not particularly helpful to be honest, despite other threads singing the praises. So any advice happily taken. I walked away confused!

Quote Originally Posted by london008:
    I've read you cannot apply for PR until you have hit exactly 7 years to the day.
    You can apply a few weeks before the actual date due, and they will approve it (assuming everything is in order) the day after you hit 7 years.

I love the idea of that but as we fly away to Thailand the morning after. So wouldn't be here to receive, and would assume we would have to come back on a tourist visa until can collect and then convert back to PR. I'm liking things simple but I am thinking this is a bit too close to the wire.

Why not renew the work visa? You can renew it one month before...

Quote Originally Posted by london008:
    Now we are approaching the last day of the 7th year in a month.
    Didn't leave yourself much time, eh? I suggest you go for option 1.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 29-10-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Ah no; "Now we are approaching the last day of the 7th year in a month.". Could have worded that better, it is 1 month away until the last day. So still have a month. I think Option 1 is going to be the way. Appreciate your feedback.

By the way, if your extension of stay hasn't been finalized by the time you need to go on your Thailand holiday, you'll have to apply for an Interim Extension of Stay as well.

Renew the work visa first.

And a tip for anyone applying for their last visa - apply for 3 years to give you a buffer to apply for PR without needing to renew. I did that on recommendation of HR.